We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting changes.

Farleyjim

Likes # 0

This is the first time this has happened to me.(Windows 7 Home Premium). I have been onto the Microsoft support page and followed various "cures" all to no avail. I have been into control panel and gone through the windows troubleshooting advice and it tells me that it has found and fixed problems with my Windows update and installed 9 updates. When I click to restart I get the same failure message at startup.It seems to recycle the startup procedure 3 times before it eventually gets to my desktop page, and when I look ar my update history there is a long list of failed installations. Any ideas, please?

Like this post
Costy

Likes # 0

Thanks for help guys, i have unchecked that update and hopefully it will be solved soon.

This is the error info that i gathered about it:

Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2685811)

Installation date: ‎23/‎11/‎2012 00:47

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 8007007E

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2685811

Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com

Like this post
MrDigital01

Likes # 0

That may be the reason due to the Internet connection as far as i concern. Better try your network settings or try to do manual updates.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

MrDigital01 it has nothing to do with the Internet connection or network settings, and there is no good reason to drag up an old thread from 2 months ago.

Like this post
Farleyjim

Likes # 0

Since I first posted, I have tried numerous suggestions, all without success. My "solution" was to elect to install the updates manually leaving out the offending one (KB2685811). Not very satisfactory but it seems the only way that I can get Windows to start normally.

Like this post
LarryV

Likes # 0

After a frustrating day with this, I finally worked my way out and it was pretty easy. I had 60 updates and tried numerous times to install them, always getting the "reverting changes" problem. Here's what I did to get out of it:

1. Changed Windows update from automatic to download and let me choose which updates to install.

2. Started at the top of the list of 60 and installed just the first 10 (left the first 10 checked and unchecked the rest). Did the install, rebooted, everything installed find, no problem. Did the same with the second and third groups of 10...no problem.

3. Fourth group of 10 gave me the "reverting" error, so I went back in and installed the first 4...no problem. Then the last 6...reverting issue again. Did the last five, leaving off the dreaded KB 2647753, and all worked great.

4. Installed the rest in groups of 10 leaving off KB 2647753 till the end. No prob.

5. Once everything was installed, I did KB 2647753 by itself, and it installed fine.

6. Verified that everything was up to date, shut down, took a hot shower, and watched some Netflix.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to upgrade to BT's YouView+ box: DTR-T1000 vs DTR-T2100

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features