We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

All desktop icons are white

dabthoms

Likes # 0

All my desktop shortcut icons look like white squares of shredded paper although the links work. I've tried rebuilding the IconCache database to no avail. My OS is windows 7. Any suggestions to aid their recovery welcome.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried a restore to a previous time when the icons worked properly?

I have read of this interesting solution:-

"After trying most of what was recommended (system restore, registry edits, rebuilding iconcache.deb in several ways) none of which worked, I finally got my icons back !!! Go here: http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/ and get the trial version of IconPackager, install it, use it to switch to any icon package, then switch back (if you want to) the standard windows icons."

Like this post
dabthoms

Likes # 0

Thanks for your suggestions. I had considered a system restore though Iwasn't too keen to do that. However, after doing the following two or three times I eventually got things sorted. 1. Closed all folder windows that were currently open. 2. Launched Task Manager using the Ctrl+Shift+Esc key sequence. 3. In the Process tab, right-clicked on the Explorer.exe process and selected End Process. 4. Clicked the End process button when asked for confirmation. 5. From the File menu of Task Manager, selected New Task (Run...) 6. Typed cmd.exe, and clicked OK 7. In the Command Prompt window, typed the commands one by one and pressed Enter after each command: (please note the spaces) CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local DEL IconCache.db /a EXIT 8. In Task Manager, clicked File, select New Task (Run...) 9. Typed explorer.exe, and clicked OK.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Well done.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination