We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

recycle bin

conrail

Likes # 0

using win 7 sp1 64bit, have inadvertently deleted a file to the recycle bin, no problem, just open the bin and click restore, unfortunately there are 5 items in the bin but non are visible, I only know there are five because if I click on empty the bin it says these 5 items will be permanently erased, I cannot select any items as there is nothing to click on to restore them, how can I view what files there are in the bin, all help and advice appreciated.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If the size of deleted files are too large for the recycle bin you usually get a message saying this and they are deleted without being put into the bin. Is this the case?

You may need to unhide hidden files:-

Start - Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization - Folder Options Click on the View tab Under Advanced Settings click on Show hidden files, folders and drives then click ok

Also in the View tab scroll down and make sure you have unchecked "hide protected operating system files"

Check your recycle bin properties - right click on the icon - Properties make sure that the "Do not move files to the recycle bin" is not checked

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks difarn, that has sorted it, there were 5 files totalling 2.3Mb, I have recovered the file I want. I appreciate your help and advice, again many thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad it's resolved.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer