We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 only boots every other startup

Noggerules

Likes # 0

I have had a strange problem. Windows 7 only boots up every other boot. In between the computer hangs at the Advent screen. I have been into MSconfig and in start up disabled all and in Services, again disabled all and hidden Microsoft. It now starts up ok but will I have caused other issues by disabling all and hiding Microsoft? William

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yes you may well have caused other issues by disabling and hiding all of these things. Can I suggest that you try a system restore to a time before you started having problems.

Start - type in system restore

Like this post
Noggerules

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn

Have completed system restore to earliest date. Have also tried to reinstall Windows 7 and get the message that the Windows on the computer is newer than the files I am installing so it cancels.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

By trying to reinstall Windows 7 are you saying that the system restore did not solve the problem?

Like this post
Noggerules

Likes # 0

That's correct, system restore didn't solve problem and windows 7 says on computer is newer than installation disk. Can only assume that's because of Windows updates?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Check that the graphics card driver is up to date, and indeed all drivers.

If this doesn't help go back and re-enable all of the start-up programmes you disabled and unhide Microsoft.

The problem may be because of a recent update. Are you aware of this - could you go into Control Panel, Programs, and see what updates may be the cause of the problem. If there have been any recent ones uninstall them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"windows 7 says on computer is newer than installation disk. Can only assume that's because of Windows updates?"

Yes, it is. Have you installed any new software or hardware devices recently? The fact that your machine starts when you disable items in the startup folder points to an error being caused by something that's changed, like a driver, or some software that loads an update checker at startup.

The way to detect the causes of issues like this is to take a structured approach; follow difarn's advice about uninstalling recent updates, but deal with them one at a time. Work through until you find what is causing the computer to hang.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It sounds that you have SP1 installed. Your disc might be pre-SP1. Two ways of re-installing Win 7, first is to make your CD drive first boot in bios then boot from CD/DVD drive from the Win7 disc you have and format the drive first. Then continue to install. Second is to burn Win7 with SP1 iso from here and install from within Windows using that disc. With the burnt iso file you can still make a 'fresh' install if you boot from your optical drive. Remember to select your version of Win 7 and if 32 or 64-bit.

Like this post
xigmapro06

Likes # 0

I thing your Hard Drive is Corrupted, First your hard Drive Formatted, Than Reinstall windows 7

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features