We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Device manager empty in W7 64-bit

Shirazz

Likes # 0

There was a typical long list until recently, and now they're all gone. I was looking for my scanner which isn't being recognised, although the printer (it's an all-in-one HP photosmart 8180) is recognised and will print. I've run driver updates, registry cleanups, and system restore but with no effect. Ach!

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

It's a new system, John, so I've contacted Dell. That, in itself, is a triumph of persistence over obfuscation! I couldn't find the OS in the software that came with the kit, and the instructions relating to the method one is supposed to use instead are baffling so I'm resorting to an email query. Who knows ... :)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Shirazz

Good luck with it! I did once find the MS tech desk very good on the phone after an update made my installation apparently invalid. Difficult to get through to a real person, but when I did he "took control" of the PC and quickly solved it. Hope Dell help but I have heard of difficulties with them,

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

They're a nightmare when it comes to support but the product is usually reliable enough not to need it too much. I have an Alienware system from Dell, though, and when it wouldn't boot (right out of the box), I emailed, then got a call from the Alienware team in Slovakia (or Slovenia) who were just fantastic.

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Well, that's it for fantastic. I asked how to repair device manager and where to find my W7 software in case I needed to repair Windows, and I was pointed to a pay-for service to tackle my unrecognised webcam and scanner. I've just emailed back to say I can probably do that myself if they answer my primary questions. Grr!

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

That's really it for fantastic. Dell don't supply W7 repair/reinstall software because it's 'preinstalled and so free' (really? thought I'd bought the whole kit and caboodle), I have to buy a new copy. Meanwhile, not only is device manager uncooperative, there are parts of the control panel that don't open, even though I have full permissions, and I can't even create a new account. Ok, off to begin a rant on another thread now!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have you tried talking to Microsoft on the tech help phone?

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

No, I've been trying to get Dell to take some responsibility but it seems to be beyond their collective pay grade! Other issues have come to light and I'm trying a clean install as a (hopefully) last resort. It's underway as we speak. The rest of the tale is at 'can't create new user account' if you're the kind of person who likes to get a full picture :)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Shirazz

If the system has never worked properly, I think you have a claim against Dell. In any case their service seems shocking. I did read your other thread, and understand your decision to do a clean install (I would install the 64 bit version) I hope this solves all the problems, but I would seek compensation from Dell.

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Did a clean install and we're up and running with internet, server, network connections - and all the duff links working properly. Well, at least for now - it's installing 93 windows updates so goodness knows how it will feel after that lot! Had to install all the Dell drivers and I still have to get my key programmes in but so far so good. I swore I would never get another Dell after a 6 month battle to get them to replace an XPS630. They misdiagnosed and prevaricated, but eventually gave in. It was a hardware failure so it went back and they sent me a new machine. This worked perfectly and it's easy to put in more memory, drives and the like, so I was seduced into this XPS8300. I'm sure it will be fine now its OS is working.[crosses fingers!] I will report all of this to Dell and lean on them hard, so we'll see.

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Leaned, with a measure of disappointment. You know, like when your favourite teacher looks at some really scratty homework you just turned in? They concluded I needed a new OS disc (can't think how they came to that conclusion - oh, wait - that's what I was telling them) & one is being sent as a 'one off goodwill gesture'. I can't really say no despite my own install working perfectly. At least I'll have one of their own darn discs, which feels like a bit of a coup!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer