We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need a replacement scanner that works with Windows 7 64bit

Spock999

Likes # 0

Hi,

Having moved to Windows 7 Home a while ago, I had not connected up my scanner. When I tried, it is not compatible with Windows 7 or 64bit.

Any advice on a decent inexpensive scanner? What I had was an A4 flatbed scanner which I use from tine to time to scan in documents or photos.

Thanks.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I like Canon and have a combined scanner/ printer but here is a reasonably priced scanner.

Canon scanner

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Yes. I have a Canon printer which I am very happy with.

Having done more research, the cheaper end of the market seems to be either:

Canon - LIDE 110 or 210

or

Epson - V33 or V330

with little to help you decide which is best.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I switched from Epson to Canon some time ago. As I am a keen photo enthusiast I have one that can scan 35 mm slides and negs plus A4 flatbed. For "normal" scanning I would go for either of the two; maybe an edge to the 210. Maybe wait a bit to see if others comment.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Looking in detail at Amazon reviews leads me to think:

Lide 110 - High percentage like it but enough are anti to make me wonder a bit.

Lide 210 - Well liked. percentage of doubters and anti is significantly less than 110

V33 - Seeems reasonably well liked but quite a few are anti - more than 210. Software not well liked.

V330 - Significant percentage dislike it.

On balance the 210 looks the best bet but I will wait to see if there is more comment.

My previous scanner was a Visioneer 9020b. From printer experience, I would never buy an Epson printer again so I am somewhat biased in favour of Canon.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I use an Epson V500 Photo which works fine with W7 Pro 64bit. It downloaded drivers automatically when it was plugged in and the supplied Epson and Abbyy software also function as with XP.

As an aside, my Epson Stylus 740 printer also automatically downloaded new drivers when connected and this works with W7 as well - much to my surprise as it's not exactly a new printer.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

The V500 does seem to be well liked. It is a bit more than I wanted to pay and while I am an enthusiastic photographer, I don't do much photo scanning so it is really more than I need.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi I had to change my scanner once I upgraded to Win 7 64bit. I got the Canon Lide 210 and it seems fine. I previously had Canon Lide35.

However, with the 210, it won't work with an extended cable nor via usb hub. It will only work via a limited length cable; I think about 2 metres max length. I did phone Canon about this and they insisted the cable can't be longer.

This means I can't have the scanner in the same place as my previous one which is a nuisance and means I need to rearrange my desk!!!

Other than that, I think it's a good machine.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Thanks. That is useful information.

I think I will be OK though as I have a spare USB port in the case.

I will be ordering the LIDE 210 later today. Thank you all for your assistance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer