We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis True Image 2012

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have used ATI 9 happily for years with my XP PC but having now moved to W7 Pr0 x64bit I need to upgrade ATI for a newer model.

Having researched ATI 2012 a bit, I have found a fairly large number of less than happy users; some examples are:

enter link description here

enter link description here

from the Acronis site - there are more - and from Amazon a mixed bag.

I know there are users on this site and would ask for their experiences of using the later versions (2010/2011/2012) of the ATI software as a little help may save a lot of frustration.

With thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Yes.

Run Acronis and click on the ? in the top right corner. Select 'check for updates' and then tick or untick 'automatically check for updates at startup'

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The 'check for updates' has a broken blue circle to the left. When clicked it opens another small window which says, "checking for updates" it doesn't apply or remove a tick. I am running version 6154 is that the same as yours?

I also got an incomplete, rambling, evasive response from Acronis today to the original question. I have pasted it in full below and gone back with a reiteration of the question.

"Hello John,

Thank you for contacting Acronis Customer Central. My name is Kashyap.

If I have understood you correctly, you have not created any nonstop backups, however, you get a log entry stating "Acronis Nonstop Backup Service has started".

I will be glad to provide all the required information regarding this.

John, in Acronis True Image Home 2012 the logs were enhanced to provide a calendar view and allow you to track operation history. The logs not only keeps a track of backups, but it keeps track of all the operations and hence you see the log entry for nonstop backup service.

I would like to assure you that the entry just specifies that the Nonstop backup service has started or stopped. If you would like to stop this, you have to change the Acronis Nonstop Backup Type to "Manual".

The User Guide and Help file refers to deleting a nonstop backup if you have configured one. I would like to assure you that this entry

If you are seeing any other entries apart from this, please provide a screenshot of the same so that we have a deeper insight on the issue and assist you better.

I look forward to your response. If have any other questions, please feel free to contact us and we are happy to assist you.

I will leave this case open until you confirm the resolution.

Best regards, Kashyap R | Support Professional Acronis Customer Central"

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I think that Acronis Support are suggesting that the way to stop it running is to do what we have actually done in 'services'.

Just to reiterate Click on the '?' help button when you open Acronis. Select 'Check for updates'. A small window should open and read something like 'Checking for new version'. This window then closes and a new one opens with 'You are using the latest version of ...' and below this is a box to be ticked for 'Automatically checking for updates' or unticking if you don't want them.

I am running build 6131 in 2012. On my laptop I use 2011 but it has the same facility for updates.

Hope this helps.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I'm far to impatient. I closed the 'checking' box before the second opened with the tick box!!! All done now.

If this is what Acronis is suggesting then the manual is wrong and should be amended. These software companies have a duty to provide the correct information in support of their products; especially for those who need to use the manual to use them. As for support quality, I'm beginning to lose patience with those that either refuse to provide a straight answer or try to blind those asking questions with science.

Acronis support always used to be excellent; I suppose this is a sign of the times.

If/when I get a further (satisfactory?) answer I'll post it. If not then I think it will be worth a complimentary post in their forums!!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

When I first started using Acronis I was very impressed with their forum and, when needed, support but in recent years I find I get better support from forums like these where members have resolved their problems by trial and error and pass the results on to others.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Give the chap his due, he replied to my e-mail very quickly (see below).

I now understand what he (and the manual) is referring to about the 'gear icon'. It is not in the top task bar, but appears when you run the cursor over a backup, in the list of backups on the page below, which has nonstop applied to it; in any that don't you will not get the icon appear. I tried it on my backups and one had the feature. However I still feel the manual is misleading in its wording. Any comments?

"Hello John,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I apologize that the message was incomplete in the fifth paragraph. I was about to inform you that the message that you see in the logs are only related to the service and not the backup task.

John, I understand you are referring to 3.6.4 ( Nonstop Backup - FAQ ) section on the page 51 of the User Guide where it says that a nonstop backup can be deleted by clicking on the gear icon and then selecting delete.

John, this option is available in the software when you have configured a nonstop backup. This option is not to delete or stop a service, but its just for the backup task.

By default, the gear icon is not visible, however, when you move the cursor on the backup task, the gear button is visible on the top right corner of the task that has been created. Please find the screenshots attached.

Even when you use this method, to stop or delete the nonstop backup, you will still see an entry in the logs related to "Acronis Nonstop Backup Service" and if you would like to stop this message from the logs, you have to stop it from the services, by changing Acronis Nonstop Backup Service to manual.

In case if this doesn't answer your question, please let me know the best time to call you so that we can discuss this further.

I work between 15:30 - 00:00 London Time.

I look forward to your response. Please feel free to contact us should you have any other questions.

I will leave this case open until you confirm the resolution.

Best regards, Kashyap R | Support Professional Acronis Customer Central"

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

However I still feel the manual is misleading in its wording. Any comments?

When you raised this issue I tried, like you, to find the gear icon and struggled. My next step was to actually set up and run the back up to see what happened and it was then that I found the icon. So, yes, it is a bit misleading BUT it wouldn't be an issue at all if the software didn't create an event even though the nonstop back up facility was not in use.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

For what it's worth, I've recently installed ATI Home 2011, build 6942.

Plagued with the non-stop backup as others mention here, I opened up the Help program then scrolled down to 'Nonstop Backup - Frequently asked questions' and found the following option at the end:

"How can I turn off and delete Acronis Nonstop Backup? - To turn off and delete Acronis Nonstop Backup you can click Operations -> Delete backup on the Nonstop Backup box in the Home window."

Hope this helps someone! TC.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

TopCat

The problem is that even though you do what it says there is still a nonstop back up event taking place every time you switch your PC on if you check the log. The only way to stop that is through services within windows.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I replied to the e-mail from yesterday prior to posting the information above and had a further input this morning.

Acronis accept the wording is misleading and have passed the feedback through their "Customer Listening System". Hopefully this will lead to improvements in the wording at least.

As for turning off nonstop backup I get little indication that a product improvement will result from the wording in the message but I could be wrong.

Having beaten this subject to death I shall leave it for a bit for anyone else to comment and then close it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes