We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New laptop and uninstalling McAfee

ray27
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just got a Sony Laptop and on it was McAfee which expires next month so what I would like to know is if I delete it and install Microsoft security essential will this work? cheers Ray

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This should be just fine if you don't want to pay for an anti-virus programme. Another recommended free download is AVG free. If after you have uninstalled McAfee you find that the Security Centre is still there, read this article that explains how to get rid of it.

Like this post
ray27

Likes # 0

Right I have taken off the Macfee but when I go to the Microsoft securities essential sit and click on the download button all I get is a large arrow on the left hand side which just goes down the page and disappears how do I find out what system I am on 32 bit or 64bit

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

start - right click on Computer - Properties - You will see it under System

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

On Microsoft Securities Essentials to the left of the blue "free download" this is where you need to click on the arrow when you have found out whether you have a 32 or 64 bit system -then click download.

Like this post
ray27

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help I have managed to download and install essentials OK but this is a Sony Machine VAIO and on the desk top at the top there is a cute drop down menu called VAIO Gateway and in it is an icon marked MaCFee online back up I dont suppose you can tell me how I delete this

Like this post
ray27

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all your help Difarn I managed to work the last one out myself you just have tho drag it out and dump it on the desk top and it disappears everything you suggested worked fine many thanks once again Ray

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You're very welcome - glad it's sorted.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded