We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 Pro reinstall question and the coming SP2

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Since I've had my computer there's been the one occasion where I needed to do a complete reinstall, using my retail 64 bit version on the disk. Unfortunately the reinstall did not complete because, as I subsequently discovered, I had SP1 installed. I uninstalled SP1 and my software install completed from the disk. Not wanting to go through this problem again, I didn't install SP1.

Now I've read that SP2 is coming soon, so I wondered if there will be a way to combine both Service Packs with my retail disk, ready in case of later problems. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with these ISO whatsits or slipstreaming OSes, so please be gentle!! :o))

Thank you for your guidance on this. TC.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 1

This should be of some help TC.

Slipstream SP1 to Win 7 Tutorial

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

I would be inclined to install SP1 - SP2 isn't due out until probably June. There are some security fixes which it would be advisable to have on your PC - it may also make the installation of SP2 much easier. It may well be that you will be required to download SP1 before SP2 anyway.

Should there be any problem you can always restore your PC back to a date before the download - you may want to set a restore point manually.

Like this post  
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Your observations had crossed my mind, difarn, so I think I will do as you suggest. Thanks for the help.

ams4127

I'm not sure if I could accomplish this as I mentioned above. Also tips 1 and 2 from your linked webpage don't inspire me at all! Sorry for my reluctance and ineptitude. Thanks anyway. TC.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad to help

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Me too.

Trust me TC, if I could do it, anyone can!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Having SP1 installed on your PC will have no bearing on performing a reinstallation of Windows 7, providing you selected custom (clean)install and not upgrade (repair). I have reinstalled Windows 7 several times and never had a problem. I now have a slipstreamed Windows 7 disk which includes SP1.

But if you find that slipstream is a little daunting then go the clean reinstall option and make sure you format your HDD before installation and you will not have any problems. Check out the video a little way down the page here. So I cannot post the direct link,cannot see the URL on my iPad.YouTube

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

When I do a clean install of window, programs and updates I check its working and then backup the drive to an external drive using one of the free programs available. If for any reason I have to do a clean install I used the backup and only have to install a few updates.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Not wanting to lose my programs and settings etc., I did in fact do a 'repair' install from my CD. I'm at a loss as to why, but my backup on my external drive simply failed to install, hence my attempt at the repair.

Anyway guys, I'm extremely grateful for your help; you excelled yourselves again as usual on the forums. For the record, I have now have SP1 successfully installed together with all current Windows upates. I also recently bought a USB3 Seagate drive for my backups - very fast data transfer! TC.

Like this post
tonnymac15

Likes # 0

Free YouTube Downloader for Mac helps you download and organize YouTube videos on Mac at ease. With it, just one click you could successfully share your downloaded & local videos to Facebook and Twitter.

Flexible ways to download YouTube videos: Directly download online video by clicking floating "Download" button. Enter the video URL to download the video. Drag and drop the video icon into Free YouTube Downloader for downloading. Download YouTube videos in batch with good speed and stability.

Play & Share videos on Facebook/Twitter: A great built-in Player could play both downloaded YouTube and existing FLV videos with high quality. Provide three play models: Play item once, Repeat item, and Play Library. Directly share your videos on Facebook and Twitter within the program.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Thanks for coming back to say it has been successful - nice to know.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features