We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem With Windows Update

Tracey73

Likes # 0

I've had a quick look to see if there were any threads concerning this particular problem but I couldn't find any, but apologies if it has already been covered. So to my problem...

For months now I've been trying to install one particular update - Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932) but it keeps failing, throwing up the error code 80073701. I've run the Windows Update troubleshooter but still no joy. If anybody can advise me on what to do or try I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance!

System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Like this post
Tracey73

Likes # 0

Softwear - jeez my brain is mush after an afternoon working on this bloomin' thing, I mean 'software' of course.

(Is there no option for editing posts on this forum?)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Can you delete them both and then run sfc /scannow to repair the folder perhaps?

Like this post
Tracey73

Likes # 0

Just tried that Chronus and sfc /scannow said everything ok so didn't change anything.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I think by now if I were in your position be thinking about a complete reinstall of Windows 7 with the SP1 burnt to disk or even better slipstreamed into your Windows 7 disk.

You seemed to have tried everything to solve this problem but are getting nowhere. It's difficult to know what else to suggest you try. Though I shall give some thought and have a bit more of a search tomorrow.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried the suggestions from the Microsoft Fix it Solution Centre?

1. Click on Windows
2. Click on Install or Upgrade Software or Hardware and to the right  of that the option

of Windows Updates.

3. Run Now - Automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update

Worth a try.

Like this post
Tracey73

Likes # 0

Many thanks to you both for all your help. I sorted the Software Distribution Folder problem out, renaming it as suggested in the link just caused more problems, so I've put it back to how it was.

My laptop came with Windows 7 already installed so I don't have a CD to do an inplace upgrade as suggested by Jason in the link you provided difarn.

I have tried the Microsoft Fix it Solution Centre before but gave it another shot, but still there's no change.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If you need a copy of Windows 7 I am more than happy to supply one. Can even provide a SP1 slipstreamed copy, 32/64 BIT.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you don't take up Chronus for his very generous offer of a copy of Windows 7 then have a read of this.

Just come across a recommendation from another post in this forum that may help you - here. This is an official download of an evaluation copy of various Windows OS, including Windows 7 with SP1 installed - after installing you are then given the option of putting in your key.

If you do manage to get hold a disc with SP! and you do not know the key for your Windows 7 can I suggest that you download Belarc Advisor which is a very useful tool as it tells you all you need to know about your PC, including details of all of your software installations.

Like this post
Tracey73

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your kind offer Chronus, but I was chatting to a friend yesterday and he can provide me with a copy of windows. It was really good of you to offer though!

And many thanks to you too difarn for all your help and advice!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You're very welcome - don't forget that if you don't have the key for your original windows 7 disc you can get it if you download the Belarc programme.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features