We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can't install windows 7! help plss

nks1289

Likes # 0

Hi, I bought the 64bit professional windows 7 upgrade from software4students and right now my computer is operating on the 32bit home premium version. It’s the download only version. So after I paid they gave me two download path. One for “MicrosoftWindows7ProfessionalSP132bit(English)” http://e5.onthehub.com/d.ashx?s=6kaljuvzno and the other one was “MicrosoftWindows7ProfessionalSP164bit(English)” I wasn’t sure why they gave me two but I went for the 64 bit one. After I downloaded the file in the .exe format (image file), the instruction was to get an ISO dvd burning programme which I did at this link http://www.ntfs.com/isoburnerfree.htm

I then proceed to burn the DVD, but it is in the .exe form and not in the ISO form (sorry I really don’t know what’s the difference). So after everything was burned to the DVD I tried running the DVD to install the new windows but I got an error message saying “The installation disc isn’t compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need to correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer’s system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advanced).”

Please help I really don’t know what to do. I don’t understand why it isn’t working. Is it because the ISO/.exe format? Should I have downloaded the 32 bit version? I'm really sorry if this is very simple stuff but I've been trying to look everywhere for a way to solve it, and my very low tech mind just really cannot figure it out! Thanks for any help!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

Can understand your frustration but I fear that, according to blogs I have read generally and from the windows 7 problem website-

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/9481-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-problem.html

• that you can only replace 32 bit with 32 bit.
Like this post
nks1289

Likes # 0

Oh damn! Thx difarn. Gonna go and see if there's a possible refund on that. But I'm guessing not!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You downloaded both the 32 Bit version and the 64 Bit version. If you search about you will find it is quite easy to use the upgrade version to do a full install. Unfortunately I am writing this from the iPad so not able go and look for you. But it's quite easy and quite legal. Type something like full install of windows 7 via upgrade version or words to that effect.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Did you read the download instructions on the download page?

From what I read when you click on the download you will get a MicrosoftWindows7ProfessionalSP132bit(English).exe file you need to click this file to download the Windows file?

The upgrade disk will allow you to do a clean install of Win7.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi again,

Can I confirm that you are saying you tried to upgrade Windows 7 32 Home Premium to Windows 7 64 bit Professional from the Software4students site? I have just had a look at this and it says:-

"Compatibility: Vista/XP pre-installed.

• Please note that an upgrade from Windows 7 is not possible "
Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"The installation disc isn’t compatible with your version of Windows" means you can't upgrade (start the install of 64bit from within w7 32bit) You have to do a clean install which will overwrite/delete your W7 32bit and replace it completely with the 64bit.

You have to put the DVD in (hold down the shift key while you do and keep it down until dvd drive light goes out). Now close down your pc and then switch it on again and boot from the DVD.

Hope you have saved all your documents and other software & product keys needed for reinstalling on your fresh install of W7.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hello,

Have been looking at this in a bit more depth and if you have only downloaded the 64bit version as you say in your post then you will presumably have used your activation key? If so then possibly the best thing you can do is to speak to Microsoft Support.

Have a look at this article, from "Let's be clear what we're doing here" in relation to installing from an upgrade (I am still unsure whether it will work from the discounted student upgrade as it does say that an upgrade from Windows 7 is not possible). I assume that your PC has a processor that will cope with 64-bit?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi again,

It may be possible for you to do a custom clean install as advised by "lotvic". Obviously you will need to back up everything. If you didn't get as far as actually putting in your upgrade key then you could be ok.

I am assuming that in this process you would be notified if your processor is capable or not of running he 64-bit edition. This is obviously imperative.

There are also many pieces of advice on dual-booting the two operating systems but if you are not confident about doing this I would choose the above option. Ringing microsoft support may be beneficial.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

One would hope that all checks had been done before the decision to upgrade to W7 pro 64bit. However, if not then don't do it is my advice. W7 Home Premium 32bit is fine for average users. I can't see any advantage to ordinary users of getting W7 Professional. Compare Editions ClickHere If wanting to use the 64bit in order to use more RAM over 4Gb then just change to W7 Home Premium 64bit at no cost as the same product key works for both.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

the key is the same for 32 and 64bit ,why dont you simply use "anytime upgrade ". click start then right click on " computer" , select windows update (bottom left hand corner),then seeif you have the windows anytime upgrade option (again bottom left corner). if you have ,click on it and select "enter an upgrade key" enter the key you have purchased , and click OK. Windows will check the key ,and if its a genuine and valid key ,will go online and download a few files that will upgrade (reconfigure) your pc to the (pro) version ,if its a (pro) key. ONCE DONE ,BACK UP THE WHOLE LOT SO YOU HAVE A SPARE . AND THATS IT . PS ,you must be online to do this ,I have done it a few times ,its perfectly legal ,if you have a legit key. windows 7 comes complete no matter what version you purchase , it has all of the files nessessary to be any version ,all that the key does is tell windows what version you are entitled to and it will configure the options for the correct version .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer