We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Images disappearing from Windows Live Photo Gallery

beanabroad

Likes # 0

Hi, I currently use Windows Live Photo gallery to edit and organise my photos. Its worked fine until recently.. after editing a photo yesterday I clicked on the arrow button to move onto the next image and as usual a dialogue box popped up telling me it was saving the changes made to the photo and I could click to revert to the original at any time. I moved onto the next image but realised that I'd forgotten to do something and clicked to go back, but the image had gone. I've searched through all my photos and looked in my recyle bin, but the image is nowhere to be found. I may be missing something obvious of course, but I'm scratching my head to know what has happened. Can anyone please help? I think I've lost about a dozen images now...:( Thanks in advance.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

It sounds as if Live Phot Gallery has either changed the name of the picture or changed the extension. When you did a search for it did you specify just the name or the name and the extension? Try searching the complete hard drive for the file name first then by extension but specifying only for with yesterday's date.

Like this post
beanabroad

Likes # 0

I'll have a go! thanks for your swift response..x

Like this post
beanabroad

Likes # 0

I found the original images, which is a relief, so I've saved copies back to the album. Still no trace of the edited versions though and now I'm worried about using WLPG as its obviously saving my edits to an unknown location or letting them disappear into the ether. I have tried asking Microsoft support but encounter an error as I try to submit the query... grrrr

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

I think gallery saves the editted photos and "overwrites" the originals. You can then FIX them and revert them back to make them orinals again. The best option is - Edit the photo and then select "Make a copy" from the menu, then save it as "copy", that way you have your original in tact, and the enhanced photo also saved. I found this out the hard way. David

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features