We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Window 7 rearm

rscott74

Likes # 0

I'm not good with PCs. I'm trying to rearm Windows 7 activation. I'm using command prompt for the first time. When I enter "slgmr -rearm" I'm told "slmgr" is not a valid command. I'm running as administrator and closely following on-line guide. Can anyone offer an explanation/solution?

Thanks

Bob

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Which version of Windows 7 are you using..???

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

I was curious and undid the activation status on one of my spare windows 7 installs (this returns it to trial mode) and tried several methods including the one I mentioned but got the same errors as you on each attempt ,however i did finally get it to work by creating a txt file ,just type the command " slmgr -rearm " inside ,and then renaming the file to rearm.bat . you must of course untick the "hide extentions for known file types" under Organize/folder and search options/View from within any folder, to be able to change from txt to bat .you will get the usual warnings about changing extentions ,but ignore that . it worked perfectly with all the usual slmgr command set . simply right click the bat file and "run as administrator". good luck.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

You need three files in %SystemRoot%/Windows/System32/ to run the slmgr command.

slwga.dll slmgr.vbs slui.exe

My next point of call would be to do a search on your HDD to see if these files are missing.

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

Thanks merlinx and beta. This message will display both my ignorance and timidity. I don't like proceeding beyond my very limited knowledge base and my questions indicate that.

Merlin - when you say "type the command " slmgr -rearm " inside" do you mean in command prompt and should " be included also does "inside" mean anything? Entering slmgr -rearm in command prompt produces the invalid message.

Beta - are you suggesting that I enter slwga.dll slmgr.vbs slui.exe in command prompt then press enter? I have a file slwga.dll which is an application extention it is followed in the list by a file with the same name but BAK.

I hope this makes sense.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

beta is just suggesting that you should confirm you actually have those 3 files . as I said above ,create a .txt file ,and open it ,type slmgr -rearm . nothing else ,then you need to save it and close the file . click on a folder "any folder will do" and select Organize ,scroll down to folder and search options ,click it ,then choose the centre tab "view" scroll down to "hide extentions for known file types and untick the box next to it .finally click on "apply" at the bottom and close the window . now right click the text "txt" file you made earlier if you did not name it ,it should be "new text document.txt and select "rename" highlight the whole name including .txt and name it slmgr.bat and thats it ,you will get a warning telling you about changing the extention may cause the file not to work but ignore this. finally to run the bat file right click it and choose "run as administrator". if it works you will see the command window open ,with the command ,just wait,then after a few seconds a success window .and your done . I run it on a spare OS earlier and it work fine .

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

merlinx I got this result - repeated on screen many times and seeming to scroll down. For safety I will now reverse "hide extentions for known file types".

C:\BOBS FILES>slmgr -rearm

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

I notice the command starts C:\BOBS FILES> not C:\Windows\system32> is that significant?

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

I didn't respond to a earlier question - Its Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I've now been using the machine for 37 days and other than at start, at 8 am,I've had no warnings today.I've also noticed that the image I set as desktop background has remained in place, ie not going to black background.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

try putting the .bat file I spoke of in the system32 folder and run it from there . if your wallpaper is in place ,no black backround ,then it would appear you have succeeded . copy the .bat file and paste a copy on the desktop ,right click it and change the command to "slmgr -dlv" ,save and close .then run it you should see a detailed list of your activation status including how many rearms are left .

Like this post
rscott74

Likes # 0

I got a similar response to that noted for "-rearm"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer