We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sound & video stuttering in Win7

peterbj7

Likes # 0

I have a Toshiba dual-core laptop that came with Vista. When the HD died I replaced it and installed Win7. Under Vista I could watch video and listen to music with no problems, but under Win7 I get stuttering, sporadic and unpredictable but often severe rendering the experience unacceptable. It happens with all software, but I notice it most with my preferred software VLC. It still happens with The KM Player but much less.

AFAIK all drivers and software are up to date.

I have heard many times of this problem with Win7, but does anyone have a solution?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Usually this would point towards a graphics driver being out of date, but since you say that all drivers are OK, the cause must be elsewhere.

Do you have a seperate graphics card or are you using the CPU?

Does this problem happen when viewing videos both online and offline?

Are your audio drivers up to date?

I'm clutching at straws here I'm afraid. I'm also using an old Core 2 Duo laptop updated to Win7 and all videos play smoothly. What about BBC iPlayer, how does it play?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

(1) It could be a power problem.

(2) How much RAM do you have?

(3) How much FREE space is there on your OS drive?

Like this post
peterbj7

Likes # 0

Thanks for the input. I did a driver scan again yesterday and confirmed that all drivers are up to date.

It happens more with material played from HD, whether video or audio, but even though much better, online video can give the occasional problem (youTube and iPlayer). I rarely play DVDs or CDs (I copy them to HD first), but it happens with those just the same. I generally play videos directly from ISO files, which means I use VLC as (I believe) the only player capable of playing them.

I have 3gb RAM and around 200gb free on the system disk. No separate video card on this machine, I think.

But as I said, I have read of this being a recognised problem with Win7, so I doubt it's anything specifically to do with my computer. The KM Player performing much better than (say) VLC does suggest it could be a Codecs issue, as I am told The KMP uses its own and doesn't rely on Windows, whereas all other players use the Windows ones.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

When it's playing open 'Task Manager' and see what other processes are running. Could be a conflict or something else using a lot of power at the same time.

Like this post
peterbj7

Likes # 0

Done that, and so has a friend who is a significant expert on hardware & firmware - he's a computer engineer. Nothing obvious shows. He says it's mainly that Win7 doesn't manage the twin processors properly, and he's seen the same in a quad-processor machine. Clearly when there is a streaming input the OS should dedicate one processor to it, but it doesn't. He said (from tests he'd done on other machines) that at the same time the stuttering was happening (because the processor in use couldn't cope with the workload) the other processor was sitting idle. Crazy, but all I suppose we can expect from MS.

I started life as a systems programmer and worked on operating systems, but that was a long time ago and I know little of today's technology. Other than it doesn't deliver what it should.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Not really what I wanted to hear as I'm waiting on delivery of a new dual core rig with Win 7.

Although if your friend is correct in his assumption, surely then both players would be affected in the same way, regardless of codecs?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded