We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Disk Partitioning In Win7

Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

Hi

I am going to do a fresh install of Win7 this week and have 3 internal hard disks of 250Gb each with partitions on htem which I wish to delete. However, I wish to partition them in different sizes. I dont mind doing only one when I install Win 7, but wondered if Win 7 had the ability to create, delete, etc partitions on a number of hard disks??

I currently use XP and can only see the ability to resize & delete a partition.

Thanks

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In Start, type in "disk managment". You can partition in that - there is a help index. Am too nervous to try it myself; there are free , easier programmes, but only for 32 bit. Others may be more specific!!

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

win 7 has all those capabilities. the only limitation is the physical placement of the files on those hard drives. if they are scattered on the outer AND inner rings of the platter, then there is less contiguous space to create partitions.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

When you do the fresh install of Win 7 the set up will detect all your drives, and give you the option of deciding which drive to install on, and also the option re-formatting and partitioning the drives. One thing I discovered on my desktop was that it placed the Boot manager on a different drive to the drive Windows installed on, caused me a bit of a headache when I replaced the drive with a different one ,as although I had the windows drive in the pc, It wouldn't boot as I'd replaced the drive with Bootmanager on! So if I were you once you've partitioned your drives I'd physically disconnect them, leaving only the drive you want Windows installed on.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

You can also do as John Bunyan advises and partion after installing Windows using disk management. I have used it myself under vista and it does work OK, but best to partition up before putting anything on the drive as there is no chance then of losing data.

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

Hi
I used Windows disk management and that worked a treat.

thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features