We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

32 or 64 bit

D.Head

Likes # 0

Hi,
Windows 7 upgrade has two disc's a 32 bit and a 64 bit, which one do I use?

many thanks
Dave

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

64 bit is more fussy with drivers and needs twice as much ram.

i went for 32bit with my w7

Like this post
D.Head

Likes # 0

upgrading from vesta, with no drive faults. have 4 mb ram.

dave

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Been running 64 bit for a couple of weeks. If you want your PC to use your 4 gig, 64 will use it.32 bit max is 3 Gig I think. Only problem so far is Photoshop CS4 64 bit does not use Twain on scanning on my set up so I launch in 32 bit when scanning and use CS4 64 bit for working on photos. Suggest download and run the MS W7 Advisory utility and it should tell you which items are / are not ok in 64 bit.

Like this post
mercfan

Likes # 0

I have just bought an Acer Aspire z5610. Came with Windows7 Home Premium 64 bit already installed, so got the upgrade to Professional. Am having real problems with iTunes, it seems to load as 32 bit OR Pod to PC is giving problems as it is that which tells me that iTunes is not 64 bit. Old machine went bang in a big way, hence new box. I reckon this was easiest way of getting my music back on system. Also tonight I grabbed the backup disc from old XP machine containing my photos. It stopped this one dead in it's tracks; no doubt because the structure is 32 bit in a 64 bit world. Has anyone come across a genius who has a program that will take 32 bit data in and write 64 bit files? I seem to recall something similar many years ago transferring files from an Octal environment to Hex system

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am running iTunes with no problems in W7 Ultimate 64bit. Previously on XP. I downloaded the 64 bit version of iTunes, and my iTunes music was already on a separate "Data" partition along with all my previous "My documents" from XP.The "new" iTunes recognised both my iTunes libraries with no major problems. No need to write data in 64 bit - all my old data - photos, iTunes music etc all ok. The actual programme itself is the thing that ought to be 64 bit. What I would do is to uninstall any existing iTunes in W7, then download to the dowload folder the 64 bit version of itunes and install afterwards with the anti virus switched off. Then make sure in iTunes /edit/preferences/devices that you set it to "do not auto synch" . Your i Pod when connected should then load drivers; Look in iLounge forums and you will see how to recover music from your iPod or hopefully from your old drive (sorry, but why no music back up on DVD's or an external HD??)Post back if you want - I'm no expert but have been through the mill!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you have an external hard drive you can use both as far as I know.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings