We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Update Vista OS to W7

Noggerules

Likes # 0

Can you install W7 Ultimate update on computer where Windows Vista 64 bit Home edition is included on the main set up disc for the make of computer and not as a stand alone edition.

Like this post
Noggerules

Likes # 0

Thanks anskyber. Upgrade advisor says everything compatable except to upgrade printer driver. That was a prob with Vista 64 so all ok. Thanks

Like this post
jakimo

Likes # 0

The upgrade advisor said my laser printer & scanner were incompatible with Win7,...but I went ahead and upgraded from Vista to Win7 anyway,... I had to re-install the laser useing the Vista drivers,the rest of the hardware functioned perfectly,...you might have to uninstall some software though,and then reinstall (you will get a message if this is required)

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Yes you can upgrade from a 64bit Home Premium editin to 64 bit Home ultimate see click here(WS.10).aspx and an upgrade will leave all programmes and docs intact. You should run the upgrade advisor first to see if any of your kit or programmes are incompatible. click here

Like this post
Noggerules

Likes # 0

Sorry if I have confused YOU I am confused myself, must be my age.

I have an Advent computer running 64 bit Windows Vista Home edition which is part of the system set up disc and not a seperate Windows disc.

Is it thus possible to upgrade to W7 Ultimate 64 bit. And the part I am not sure about; would it affect any of the other software/ hardware originally loaded at setup.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

anskyber

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

No you cannot upgrade cross architecture ie from 32bit to 64bit. You should boot from disc and do a custom(clean) install after backing up all you files and data.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

not sure I completely understand the question but here are the options for upgrades click here(WS.10).aspx

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features