We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

upgrading sony laptops & windows 7

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

our 3 year old sony laptop a vgn-fe21B runs XP media centre.

the laptop has passed the w7 suitability scan.

now divers dont know a lot about drivers and laptops but do i need anything more than graphics driver go7400,intel wifi 3945abg, sigma audio onboard ICH7.

would I need anything else like sony drivers or chipset drivers?
sony support never reply to emails, sony store do not recommend O/S upgrades.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You will find that W7 will come with many drivers.

However Vista drivers will work with W7 and click here for some you may require.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thanks for the link sony never update their driver webpage, never knew the graphics were sony adapted ones as were the sound ones.

looks a bit of a gamble then with W7 on drivers.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

"looks a bit of a gamble then with W7 on drivers"

I think it will be far less of an issue than it was when Vista came out and will really only be for 64 bit and older computers and peripherals.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I think I would do as bremner suggests and download the Vista ones. Put them on a flash drive so they are handy, not an SD card as you may need a driver before that will work lol.
Nvidia GO graphics drivers are a real pain. You may well find W7 offers a suitable one as you install and update it.
And the card reader I mentioned, you may well need a driver for that, and it might be called something cryptic like PCMI Mass storeage device.
Web cams another possible issue.
Anything like a "launch manager" ? that will allocate correct functions to certain keys, volume brightness etc... that's another one.
I'm sure it will be fine... :) Just deal with each item in turn as W7 flags it as an issue.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features