We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cost of upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

Housten

Likes # 0

I have searched many of the postings here and elsewhere and whilst the position seems to be that there may well be a version of Windows 7 issued it seems it hasn't been done yet. So my question is this: is it worth hanging on in the hope that it will be cheaper than the full version that can be purchased now ( for delivery in October ) or just get the full version and be done with it?

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

"Sticking their noses in" has brought us a lot of benefits like reduced roaming charges, increased airline compensation, seven days cooling off and the like.

Unfortunately they don't always get it right, and this is, perhaps, one of those times!

Like this post

Likes # 0

keep "their" noses out

Like this post

Likes # 0

Is this to do with the continual bitching between Microsoft and the EU and the edition of W7 that we will be getting without IE8?

Or is it that a clean install will really give a better result?

Although I've successfully ordered a copy of W7 at £44 the though of all this file transferring fills me with dread

Why can't the powers that be just keep there noses out and make life simple?

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your replies amd the advice. I am taking it as a 'NO' the answers you have given to my question and will purchase the full copy. What made this more complicated - for me - was that my desktop is Vista Business and my laptop Vista Home Premium. As I have now retired I will stick with Windows 7 Home Premium and will install it as and when it appears.

Many thanks for your time and trouble.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

of Windows 7, but there are ways of installing it without losing your files and installed software.

click here[10].png for a chart that will show you which versions of Vista can be upgraded in this way, and with which versions of Windows 7.

Frankly, why Microsoft sees the need to make it this complicated is beyond me - it wouldn't seem to me that it would have been rocket science to get each version of Windows 7 to upgrade from each version of Vista, or even from Windows XP.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The position in late June was that because of the EU competition rules MS could not offer an upgrade in Europe. click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features