We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Pre-Order

HondaMan

Likes # 0

Seems that proices are already going up. On this site click here W7Prof is offered at about £180 and yet I ordered mine for £78.23 + p&p and yes, I have checked that it is W7Prof edition.

Like this post
audeal

Likes # 0

laurie53: You should not need to uninstall IE8. Just install your favorite browser and make it your default browser.

If you don't have it then you will be able to download it if you want it so I don't understand all the fuss about IE8 being part of it or not.

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

I honestly cannot see what all the fuss over the browsers issue is. If it comes with IE8, despite being a Firefox user, I'm keeping it on there, as there comes the odd time when a website needs it. Either way, its not a big deal.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The fuss is because the companies who produce other browsers complained to the EU Commission that Microsoft's inclusion (and automatic installation) of Internet Explorer in the Windows software amounted to an unfair trading advantage, and effectively operated against competition in the browser market.

The argument was that an average computer user may not be aware of how easy it is to install and use an alternative browser, or wouldn't bother to try to find out, so millions of people would simply accept whatever Microsoft dished up.

It's about having choice, and the ability to make it.

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

I realise what the fuss is regarding the companies who produce the other browsers and Microsoft, but my comment was aimed at the end user.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

"laurie53: You should not need to uninstall IE8"

I know I shouldn't need to uninstall it, but neither should I have to have it if I don't want it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

My apologies for misunderstanding your confusion. I don't think there is a fuss as far as end users are concerned, is there?

People who don't want to use IE can simply install another browser, as they've always done, and those who don't care which browser they use will continue to use IE as they've always done. The fuss is being made by software companies, as I pointed out.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

what if the antispyware companies jump on the bandwagon about windows defender?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

what if ..

That's not all. What about paint programs, CD/DVD burning, word, notepad. There are arguably a lot of applications that are 'forced' on you when you install Windows that are also provided by third parties!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

that could in theory dismantle windows and be its destruction.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I initially ordered mine through Microsoft store for £80.00 then got an email from Argos offering it for £50.00 So canceled Microsoft and bought Argos.Well happy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features