We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is 7 a 'good' Windows upgrade, and other questions

GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

Hi all.

I don't particularly like risking my system with Beta versions or RCs (just in case a roll back doesn't work) so haven't tied out the new Windows 7 (pity a more energetic name for it couldn't be found). I wanted to but just couldn't quite bring myself to try it. Is this version of Windows, for once, actually considered by those in the know as being a piece of MS software that works and does what it says on the tin?

Almost every consumer version of Windows (i.e. not NT) since 3.1 (well, maybe 95) has been pulled apart and generally viewed as a waste of development time: 98 was seen as not a huge leap from 95. Millenium was criticised for many things, as well as seemingly having a memory hole. XP upset all the NT users and Vista seemed to upset just about everyone. Is 7 likely to be the OS that brings Windows back to being a useful OS?

Also, this 'no browser' thing. Why? I know the EU decided MS was being anticompetitive by including a browser as this was 'restricting the trade' of other developers' browsers. However, the same could be said about the inclusion of notepad, a defragger, and just about ANY piece of software in Windows that a commercially available alternative exists for. Stretch the point and Messenger, Mail and others could be next.

As much as I often refer to Microsoft as Micro$oft or M$ (same as everyone else) I can't help feeling that they've been unfairly treated here. After all, OS X comes with Safari - a browser - and Apple haven't been told that OS X Snow Leopard has to have Safari removed for the EU market. And when yo uconsider that most Macs these days bundle in photo editing and web creation software, then Apple are more guilty of anticompetitiveness than Microsoft, yet no slap on the wrist for them. I know their market share is still smaller but if it's EU Law then it should apply across the board surely?

And lastly, I see a few threads around here about the low cost pre-order versions. Firstly, does anyone know why Ultimate isn't included in this? And is Ultimate that much different to Pro anyway? Secondly, has anyone had a definitive answer as to how these versions install? IS it a Full Retail or Upgrade version? If Upgrade, does the original OS have to be INSTALLED or can we use a virgin HDD and just stick our old OS disc in to check eligibility? The MS Shop seem to be giving conflicting info on that one. Once 7 is installed, what will happen to my full retail version of Vista Ultimate? Can I still install it on another machine or will the key become invalid?

I really want to preorder at this ridiculously low price but want to be able to either reinstall Vista if I have to, or install my fully paid for OS on another machine. If it's an option that'll work I might stick another HDD in and dual boot install 7 on that HDD with Vista still running on the original - just in case there's any programs that won't run.

Anyway, that's the lot. Any and all opinions welcome.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Most questions will be answered here click here&

Like this post
malgall

Likes # 0

a dual boot system with windows 7 seems the best choice as we can expect problems with 7 on release
i have a desktop using which i will replace with windows 7
but i have a laptop with vista i will not
because i have found vista to be good

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Indications from the feedback on the Windows 7 Release Candidate are that there will not in fact be too many problems at all - provided you make sure that you run the Microsoft suitability checker before you start the installation.

Issues should mainly be confined to peripheral drivers, and you would be well-advised to investigate whether or not the manufacturers have published a Windows 7 driver for any devices you may want to connect. In fact if you make sure these are all connected when you run the suitability checker you'll be told whether or not Windows 7 has a problem with anything.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

All of my peripherals run on Vista drivers without problems.

Like this post
GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

Only thing I seem to be having trouble with is my Canon LiDe 30 Scanner. The install program for the ScanGear Driver launches then disappears. Scanner listed in Devices but can't actually scan anything. Other than that everything SEEMS to be working as it should

Like this post
ztronicsalien

Likes # 0

I don’t see any problems with Windows 7 in fact it will be a problem sorter for Windows Vista. Windows Vista is a nice upgrade after Windows XP but for some reasons didn’t get as much popularity as the former. I guess there will be even more expectations from this latest version.

Regards,
ServicedotZtronics

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites