We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Software Compatibility

AlanHo

Likes # 0

I am planning to re-build my desktop computer in the autumn with a new mobo, CPU , more memory and load it with Windows 7 Home Premium when available.

I currently use the following software on my Vista Ultimate desktop computer...

Acronis True Image 2009
AVG free A/V v8.5
CCleaner
Corel Paint Shop Pro 11
Diskeeper 2009
MS Office 2007
Nero 8
Paragon Partition Manager 8.5
Real Player
Quicktime
Scansoft Omnipage 16
Adobe Reader 9
Plus drivers for....
OKI C5650 Colour Laser printer
Epson Stylus SX200 Printer/Scanner

I have read that anything that runs on Vista will be OK on Windows 7. Can any Windows 7 Beta users advise which of the above programmes will function OK.

Like this post
AlanHo

Likes # 0

Sorry - wrong choice of description - it was the release candidate I downloaded.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

The beta version is now starting to reboot (see other thread).

You'd be better off downloading a copy of the Release Candidate while you can.

That will run for a few more months.

Like this post
AlanHo

Likes # 0

I followed your suggestions and installed the beta version of Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate.

The installation went without any significant problems and I have now installed all my software, printers and scanner. All are working fine.

The only real problem I had was getting my wifi working again with my second XP computer. It was down to me though - I missed some settings.

First impressions are very good

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I can confirm the following work on (my set up of) Windows 7 RC:-

Acronis true Image 2009
AVG Free 8.5
MS Offixce 2007
Quicktime
Adobe Reader 9 - but for one of my online banking accounts only version 8 will work for some reason.

Yes you should install all of your software on the same partition/HD as Windows 7. I have Windows 7 on a separate HD which I access through a boot manager at start up so that and Vista are completely separate.

Like this post
AlanHo

Likes # 0

This may seem a rather dumb question - if I install Windows 7 on a separate partition - I assume I must also install all my software and drivers on the same partition for them to function.

I currently have Vista and all my programmes on one hard drive (C), my docs and data on a second internal hard drive(D) and third internal hard drive (E) used for Acronis back-ups. The E: drive has 250 GB of free space and I assume it could be used for the proposed purpose.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

Don't forget, starting 15 July (to 9 Aug), Win7 will be available to pre-order from just £50: click here. G

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

AlanHo, the best thing to do would be to test out the RC yourself & install your favourite programs/peripherals. click here to download.

If you have a spare hard disk (even 20Gb will do), or a spare partition on your existing hard disk, you can set up a dual-boot with Vista.

Here are a few step-by-step guides: click here / click here / click here. All the best with it :-), G

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features