We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7 RC mapping Network Drives not working..

hawthorn123

Likes # 0

I have two laptops each dual-booting XP/Pro SP3 and Windows 7 , and a Desktop running XP home SP3 which has 3 hard disks holding all the folders I wish to share.

The 3 Desktop drives are mapped on both XP/Pro and 7 on both laptops - I haven't had and don't have any problems accessing the drives from the XP systems, but both Windows 7 systems frequently either fail to reconnect the drives on booting, or the network path fails after a while.

Any ideas what is causing this please?

Like this post
PO79

Likes # 0

I think the clue is "RC1" ie not the finished article.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Not sure, but i've not had any problems with my network on RC yet. Done a lot of reboots today everything has gone smoothly

Like this post
FreeCell

Likes # 0

Successfully mapped network drives (NAS) using both Beta and RC of Windows 7. Functionality is fine. Reconnect on start-up just fine.

Have you set up HomeGroup?

Like this post
hawthorn123

Likes # 0

Like this post
FreeCell

Likes # 0

I know Homegroup is aimed at Windows 7 PCs but my question was have you set up Homegroup on your PC to see if it allows your mapped drives to reconnect?
I have set it on and can connect to NAS drive so may be coincidence.

Like this post
Bob The Nob©

Likes # 0

I am using several mapped network drives and they are fine also my WebDav folders are good (there was a bug in 6065 and 7000 where you couldn't connect to FTP).

Check that your network connection is stable on both machines, it could be that that the machines are loosing connectivity or try assigning a static IP as if they are renewing but to another IP then the drives may drop every now and then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded