We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 slower than XP Pro..

hawthorn123

Likes # 0

PcMark05 benchmarks run on my dual-boot (XP Pro SP3/ 7 Beta both 32bit) Dell Inspiron 9400 , T7200 2GhZ , 2GB RAM, GeForce Go 7900 GS give
5052 marks on XP, 4661 on Windows 7, XP performing better in all tests.

In the 'real' world ripping a DVD using AutoGK took
2 hours 8 mins in XP , 2 hours 28 mins in Windows 7.

Like this post
satchef1

Likes # 0

XP is buggy, insecure and crashes a lot (compared to Vista and 7). More XP updates are shipped out over Windows Update than for any other Microsoft product.

There is no way i'd go back to XP. I've been running Vista for 2 years now and last week i fully migrated over to the Windows 7 beta. In these past two years i haven't had a single BSOD or a single virus problem. I no longer run any AV software and the only firewall i use is Windows Firewall.

XP is faster than Vista and Win7, but the benefits of the two new OSes far outweigh the raw speed difference. The stability, security and far better file structure are worth far more to me than a little bit of speed!

That guy that Rob_08 linked to over at ZDnet is pretty much the prime example of the problem Microsoft are having. XP is up on this pedestal as being perfect. If there's two ways of doing something then the XP way is automatically right, even when it's wrong.
I'm refering to how upset he is at the lack of a "Run" button under the Start Menu. "Run" was included in Windows to give power users easy access to features that Microsoft doesn't want ordinary users going near. It short-cuts people to files found in the Windows directory.
Vista removed the "Run" button. Under Vista there is no longer any need for it to exist, the new file structure means the OS knows the location of every file on the system. You can now simply search for the file you want instead of having to know the specific command to access it.
The new system is quicker and a lot more flexible, yet somehow "wrong". It's pretty typical Vista territory really, more down to users not wanting to adapt than Microsoft actually doing things the wrong way.

I'm expecting a similar problem with Windows 7, people will blind refuse to adapt to the UI. It takes a few days to get used to, which will be far too long. It'll be uninstalled within a day and thousands of you will be back on XP, trying desperately to convince yourselves it's better and that the speed boost makes it all ok.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Nicely written and a good read (your post) .
I however havent had a single crash with XP Pro in the 7 years or more that i have used it. I havent had a single blue screen unlike Vista whch gave me a lovely "IRQL less than or not equal to" error on day one and also refused to restart after its first batch of 51 updates. !! Just sat there blinking a black screen with a _ in the top corner.Had to reset to get it start.
So that wasnt the best introduction to Vista.I also used it solidly for 5 months , so i wasnt a " install and remove it" tester , it also locked up a lot in the months i used it at work and at home, So i dont agree it is more stable than XP , not by long way. Although service pack 1 did help it a little. That is when MS say you can have it and if through auto updates !
However, although i dont like vista but still have to use it for work purposes occassionally, i was indeed pleasantly surprised by Windows 7 and how it ran straight from the off. But i cant see that i will move on from XP to it as W7 is far too much like Vista in terms of its layout and appearance, it is by no means the most friendly i have ever used, and i dont like the transparent stuff at all, not one bit.... but of course thats a minor issue as i can turn it off easily. So not huge gripes with the latest O.S from me.
I guess sooner or later though us lovers of XP will have to move on, but maybe just maybe there will be a ray of light after W7... who knows. For me though i say "Its good but its not for me"
I know i wont be alone with that sentiment, but blame Microsoft for making XP too good to want to leave behind, after all, it does everything i want for business and pleasure and it does it all quickly and efficiently,theres no real incentive to want to move on ,and remember newer isnt always better like much in this world.

Like this post
hawthorn123

Likes # 0

If you are happy with Vista that's fine.
I just don't know anyone who has been migrated from XP to Vista who is impressed.
I have XP Pro and Vista Ultimate dual-booted on my PC and XP Pro/ Windows 7 ( formerly Vista Home) on my Laptop.
I have to support Vista users. I never find myself using Vista by choice.
As far as BSODs are concerned I haven't had one for years and the virus problem is vastly over-hyped by the industry.
If you use peer-to-peer file-sharing like Limewire you will have problems - if you use torrents and don't know your way round, you will have problems - the vast majority of users don't.
For anyone who wants to play high-end games or process video, then speed counts and Vista sucks.
Be nice if 7 had virtual-disk support, if WMP 12 supported all codecs widely used.. at least you can turn the UAC off easily without being nagged about it - a more useless piece of software I've never seen - don't they KNOW that in the real world people get confused and either say yes to everything making it useless or no because they are afraid and give up?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

who has been migrated from XP to Vista who is impressed."

Well I know dozens and dozens of people who are impressed, and I'm impressed, too. I'm now using the Windows 7 beta, and I'm impressed with that, too - it's the most stable beta version I have ever used, and I've beta tested every Windows version since 3.1.

If you look at the latest forum poll figures you'll see that over half the people who have responded are either using the Windows 7 beta, planning to upgrade as soon as it's released, nominating Vista as their next operating system, or saying they'll move to Windows 7 when they renew their computer.

It certainly doesn't look as if everyone's desperate to stick to Windows XP.

Like this post
satchef1

Likes # 0

Popular opinion seems to differ by website, odd really. Vista is pretty much hated on here, yet go over to somewhere like Hexus.net and things are a bit more Vista friendly.

I'd be interested to know if there's any kind of relation to age? It seems quite possible that if you've been using Windows all your life then you won't like the UI changes in Vista and 7, there was a similar problem when XP launched. In theory the younger generation, who grew up on XP and barely knew the "Classic" interface, should have an easier time.

Like this post
satchef1

Likes # 0

Worth passing on, i saw this image on a blog:

click here

Looks like it's possible to get W7 in to classic mode. Might keep some happy?

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

I see people like satchef1 comment that their XP crashed all the time and personally mine has not crashed in several years. So when people say to me that XP is buggy and crashes all the time as far as I am concerned its self inflicted. I do not mean that you have done anything deliberate or anything like that but that those that have problems do not run regular virus scans, surf safely and perhaps install programs that are not entirely safe.
My windows is perfectly stable and has been for years, no BSODs or crashes of any description so if mine is perfectly ok then there must be something that those that do have problems are doing wrong that causes the problems.
The only comment I would make about Vista and it running fine for you is that part of the security it is meant to have, which is part of the advantage that they say it has over XP, is that it is meant to be more stable. And to me part of that stability must include windows stopping malignant programs from altering part of the windows code and causing crashes.
I have to say that that is my opinion on the situation and I do not know if that is the case.
As I said earlier I tried Vista for such a short period of time I am not very knowledgeable about it. But my XP is not buggy, never has been buggy and I cannot recall when it last crashed - it must be 4 or 5 years ago at least.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Ummmm but didnt ...

I'm sticking with Windows XP as long as possible
get 40.2% ??
And to my mind that kinda beats all the other nominations into a cocked hat i mean its more than double all the others . Sorry F.E

Poll:
click here

Like this post
hawthorn123

Likes # 0

don't understand statistics.. for a start 15.3% saying they have or will install 7, well why not? and that doesn't mean they'll prefer it to XP.

Next,7% say they plan to upgrade, well if they already have Vista, they'd be mad not to from what I've seen the Vista SP called Windows 7 is an improvement.

The 17.8% who say Vista will be their next system is presumably made up of people intending to buy in the next few months - and with the paucity of machines available with XP , if they aren't able to find drivers or don't know how, or can't be bothered to install XP, they have no MS option.

Which leaves 38% who are happy to stay with XP, and 5% who presumably are going to Mac or Linux.

;-)

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

I feel you are missing the point here windows 7 is a beta program not a release candidate which means changes can be made to the code at any time before the release making your benchmarks somewhat meaningless at the moment

98se to millenium to xp sounds familiar xp to vista to windows 7 see a pattern the middle o/s on both occasions is the poor relation so to speak

hardware improvements improved the performance of xp along with the service packs and i am sure the same will apply to windows 7 and a year or so down the line we will be looking back thinking what was all the fuss about

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer