We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First thoughts

djbenny

Likes # 0

I got this on the friday that it was released 9th Jan.

my first impressions were good, i have it running in a VM with a gig of ram allocated to the machine and the bootup is fast, the overall performance is face and i think they have really made an improvement i am yet to test everythingo n there and have installed firefox which works fine, also getting the live essential pack to be able to use live messenger i am going to install office 2007 to see how that works, but the built in apps have been improved. most of them are taking on the ribbon, such as mspaint which has had a total makeover.

whats your thoughts?

Like this post
pcmags

Likes # 0

Erm think i will stick to XP for the time being!

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

I downloaded it last night and burnt it onto a disk I want to dual boot with XP. It will not copy all the files and I get an error message at 78% there must be a problem either with the disk I used or the burn was flawed will try again to-night when I get home from work. Looking forward to trying it out. On what I have read it is an improvement on Vista on that I cant't comment I have never used Vista, but I am not "stuck" with XP. If Windows 7 is better than XP I will have no qualms in moving.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

1. It takes about 20 minutes to do a clean install, which is an improvement over Vista’s 30. If you install it as a multi-boot, you may find that, in Explorer, it doesn’t recognise the other operating system(s). The multi-booting works OK. Evidently, this is by design but it can be overcome by right-clicking Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management then right-click the missing drive and allocating a drive letter to it.

2. I enabled System Restore and two days later lost all the restore points, this also happened to me when dual-booting XP and Vista. Microsoft haven’t learned from this. However, to be fair, I have a sneaking suspicion that other software may have had an effect. I’m still investigating it.

3. Devices not recognised after the installation are the 3 card reader slots, infra-red and the SM Bus controller. Once I connected to the internet, I received 4 driver updates but it still leaves the SM Bus inoperative, which I shall ignore.

4. A neat, new feature in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > Remote Settings (in the left pane) > Hardware Tab is Device Installation Settings. In there, one can choose to automatically download driver software. Defragmentation is now much more informative than before.

5. With the exception of the improved System Protection (creating a system restore point) and the unpredictability of the Works word processor, it is faster than Vista. In no particular sequence, these either don’t work at all or some of the functions give unpredictable results:
Gadgets don’t work if UAC is turned off. SuperAntiSpyware, CrossLoop, SIW, Works Word Processor, Avira’s AntiVir and Fuji FinePix Viewer.

6. Surprisingly, PhotoStudio 2000 and all my 1986 (ish) DOS Turbo C programs work.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Well i decided to download and try out Windows 7 after being so thoroughly disappointed with Vista.
Installed quickly on my Quadcore ( around 20 minutes) a few reboots and then on to pretty boot screens and then the desktop. Hmmm looks like Vista and clicking on the start button confirmed it, nothing changed here then. Digging deeper i discovered that the awkward interface and the doing of basic things stayed the same to.
Sure i zipped around from Control Panel to Documents in record time, ( yes even faster than my beloved XP) But its still so unorganized in there !
Oh and the worst thing..... Windows defender is still part of the new O.S. (Why cant it be a downloadable extra ?)
Anyway i enjoyed my time playing with this stable O.S BUT... i wont be upgrading from XP Pro, there isnt anything in here i cant already do.
See thats the killer, if there was a "must have" feel to it, or a "i gotta have that" about it, i would. But there isnt... so i wont.
Great upgrade for Vista Users though.

Like this post
darrenrichie

Likes # 0

Had this a couple of days now. Had an initial problem where I couldn't do anything because it said I didn't have sufficient access rights, ( later found out this had to do with Trend Micro Security Suite) so I reinstalled and works great. I am on a dual boot with XP and Vista and all works fine. Very nippy compared to Vista. Not too sure I like the new task bar yet. Very annoying when I minimise Live Messenger or Live Mail and it doesn't move to the System Tray (stays on task bar as minimised prog). Otherwise it has been a great experience so far. Have Office 2007 installed and am using Avira PE Anti Virus with no problems. Using Google chrome as my main browser and have no issues there.
This OS is showing real potential. If you use Vista then this will suit you down to the ground. If you still insist Vista is rubbish and XP rules then I am sorry but you can stay in the past because if you aren't willing to make the change, I can't see you ever moving away from XP and you will be left behind quite soon.
Good luck everyone!

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

"If you still insist Vista is rubbish and XP rules then I am sorry but you can stay in the past because if you aren't willing to make the change, I can't see you ever moving away from XP and you will be left behind quite soon".

left behind what exactly ? I can do anything on my XP Based Quadcore Pc that Vista or Windows 7 can and it does it well. So what exactly did you mean ?
If i am doing work in CS4 on XP and someone is doing work in Vista i can tell you for sure which one gets left behind and it isnt me.
Good luck yourself.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

so that we can indulge in the time-honoured 'Vista is rubbish and Windows XP is fabulous' routine.

The whole idea is to discuss the public beta of Windows 7, and your reactions to it if you've installed it. We know that there are people who like Windows XP, and wish to continue to use it; that's fine, and it's fine to carry on using Vista too, if you're happy with it.

What we want to talk about here is Windows 7, and your reactions to it - one way or the other.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I have vista [which i prefer to xp]but do not see what i get in upping to windows 7 there's nothing unless someone can put me right its just rearranged graphics. making it SP2 for vista or offering it at a nominal upgrade price of £25ish nothing to justify the usual upgrade prices.

Like this post
grey george

Likes # 0

Do we know what the prices will be, for the finished versions?
Will there be lots of flavours as there are in vista?
Will programme and device compatibility remain the same?
When vista was near to release, those purchasing an xp machine also got a voucher for a free or cheap upgrade to vista when it became available. Will this happen with windows 7 or will it be a free upgrade to anyone with a current valid MS Os?

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Well I burnt a new copy and it installed with no problems. Having never used vista I am not sure how different/similar Windows 7 is. First impressions are favourable it is very fast opening programmes and the Internet seems to be faster. I have just done a clean install of XP on my other partition so I can compare the speed between the two fairly accurately. I like the look of Win 7 very modern and crisp. I like the feel of it although not had time to look under the bonnet as it were.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer