We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 2013 beta test - and finally......

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Do you have any suggestions for improvements - something that might be added, or left out of the product?

This is your chance to speak directly to the software developers.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

more work needs to be done re w7 ie9. the vault is very slow to open, 1e9 freq has to close and or recover, new tabs are slow to open too.

it is also part clashing with dnt+ add on in ie9 blocking one of the files that dislays info.

if they can fix these before release of the final release it would be great.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

FE

Thank you for that but I won't pretend to fully understand whay you are saying. I'm not even sure if this is the best place to discuss this so please ask me to move it elsewhere if necessary.

Both my PC & Laptop are on my home network as are both our iPhones and Ipad as well as my printer/scanner. Are you saying that I don't have them set up correctly and Norton has picked this up or is it something else?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I had earlier reported a clash with dnt+, hew version of dnt+ out today works ok with beta so scrub that earlier bit of info.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

new ver of dnt+ just clashed yet again, i have narrowed it down to a clash with norton toolbar.

if i delette dntplus, disabled norton reinstall dnt all ok they both work happily together but i had forgotten to re enable norton toolbar as soon as i did so the clash reappears.

can symantec liase with abine.com support, i have lised with them over this clash. would be great if its fixed.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Condom

As far as I can tell from the information you've provided this isn't anything you should be worried about. Norton has detected traffic between devices on your network, or between one of your machines and the internet.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

FE

Thanks for that FE. I won't worry about it as I have had this set up for some time without any problems and it has only been this Norton version which has shown it.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I've used Norton products over the last few years (and in the earlier days, when the product was bloatware, and not very good). The mechanics behind this program are as good as the last version; it works well, it works smoothly. Personally, I don't mind all the extras that are thrown in, but I can see the other viewpoint. The product is getting bigger, more complex to understand, more difficult to be sure it is working.... It is, but with all the extras to worry about, users may feel daunted. Condom above is an example. He's a pretty wily user, he's a professional, bright guy, he's set up a working home network, which is more than most, yet the product has worried him - unduly, it seems. It's just one computer on his network pinging the other.

I think it was the PC Cillin products in the 90's (or Kaspersky?) that had, as a home screen, a big " your computer is fully protected" logo, and a smaller "advanced options", which was a gateway to all the bells & whistles. If you didn't know what another computer pinging yours meant, you didn't even know it was happening. That was a better presentation; Norton seems keen to validate the spend you made by showing you got this... and this... and all these as well for your money. I buy my internet security for the security... a big green button that says " you are protected", and means it is worth paying for. All the extras... well, I don't mind that they are there, but I wouldn't mind if they weren't.

So, despite the speedy install, is Norton in danger of heading back to being bloatware? Shouldn't the emphasis be on being the best protection, bar none, rather than added features?

Oh, and the graphics.... I know I moaned about all that vivid colour scheme in previous beta tests but, wow. That is one ugly, ugly program interface.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I am sad to say that I had to uninstall NIS2013. I simply could not get it to work with Outlook 2003 and I needed Outlook more than I needed NIS beta. I went back to Norton 360 v6 and everything is back to normal. My apologies that I could not get it to work to test it fully.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

put pc on this morning, had norton shortcut on desktop which i had deleted after install last week then saw the red x on the icon clicked on this said error was browser not protected, hit fix, but could it could not fix. tried several times and reboot norton cannot fix the error.

anyone else hed this, i presume with the desktop icon appearing there has been a beta update.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

still trying to fix the beta now saying no network protection and fix cannot fix. if i cannot sort by the end of the day i will have to delete the beta and go back to norton 360.

also opened the beta and all the various bits are slow to respond,something gone very wrong since last night when it was working so well

w7 32bit ie9

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...