We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 2013 beta test - and finally......

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Do you have any suggestions for improvements - something that might be added, or left out of the product?

This is your chance to speak directly to the software developers.

Like this post
Tigertops

Likes # 0

Found one other problem

Norton does not allow Belarc Advisor to run.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

As a point of interest I actually uninstalled the program & after rebooting my Windows 7 PC I was still left with the entire Norton installation folder, five Norton folders some of which were hidden & one Symantec folder. Also it left 200+ registry entries some of which were Legacy.

In comparison uninstalling Webroot SecureAnywhere before I ran Norton (as I don’t believe running two security suites at the same time) Webroot left behind no folders whatsoever & 14 registry entries & these all were easily removed. If Norton requires a standalone uninstaller a link or info should have been given at the same time as the pop-up web page which asked why I was uninstalling Norton.

In my view leaving behind well over 200 meg of files is just not good enough, Norton is not alone in this however.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Sunnystains - anyone else had this --- Yes .

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Same as sunnystaines in that I had the Norton Shortcut appear on my screen this morning as well as red cross on the Norton logo on the ribbon. Trying to update again resulted in a forever "processing" loop and "Fix Now" Not working. Still showing a "Network and Web Protctions At Risk"

Have tried various times to fix this but even when I do get a couple of updates and eventually get them installed the "Fix Now" is not fixing whatever is wrong.

I'l give it another hour or two and then rethink my strategy. Going to reboot now

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

uninstal of beta took ages, putting norton360 more errors and id sfe not working. been on norton live chat for over an hour,they are still messing around on remote control.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

No joy getting my test rig to work so switched to Win8. Similar setup but win8. Norton gave warning but slightly diff wording. Updated downloaded extra patch - circa 10 mins to download and install. All seems OK after updates and patch.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

well got my norton 360 v6 working again after uninstall of the beta. after spending all morning reinstall /install several times went to norton live chat [connected very quickly to a helper]took just over 2 hours and got it working agian but lost all my passwords I had saved.

it you revert to norton 360 and have my problems [hope you do not]. ask live chat to look at my log 1358 today helper was krishnanunannyAR he also added extra 30 days to licence because of the problem. It is all related to the vault.

the NIS2013 beta was good pity it had a bad ending, but thats what a beta is about and the risk we take.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Well after nearly 3 hours of failure to fix whatever has gone wrong I decided to remove the Beta. Fortunately I use Revo uninstaller as the Norton internal remover left dozens of files behind and over a hundred Registry entries. Even Revo missed one file folder from Symantec but it was an emtpty one. This continues to be a problem with Symantec programs and I think it always has been. Simply not good enough for an expensive program.

Reinstalled my old program which immediately found a root problem which it wanted to scan from boot up which I let it do as this is very similar to a safe mode check. Nothing subsequently found. All back up and working normally but is it worth re-installing NIS 2013 or is the testing just about over?

I have said earlier that I wondered if this was an early Beta release or a near finish release but I got no comments. If this is an early release then this failure today is acceptable but if it is a near release version then this looks like something serious as it basically gound to a halt and left the computer unprotected with a big sign telling you so.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I have just noticed sunnystaines last post which crossed with mine. I haven't used the vault so the problems today clearly affected more than just vault users.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

F.E. - Have we finished?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite