We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 v6 - and finally.......

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that you've been running the software for a while, what is your overall impression? You have an opportunity to mention anything specific in the thread entitled 'Norton 360 v6- wish list' - what we're interested in here are your general impressions.

If you weren't getting a free 1 year licence for the new software, would you consider paying for it, or if not, why not?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i would buy NIS but not 360 as i feel the free utilities do a much better job, have a better interface, and more tools/options.

i have been a fan of some norton products since 95.

would like future 360 to include norton ghost backup,and for norton to look at other multi utilities out there and see what they can do to compete with them [eg likes of ccleaner,iobit asc/smartdefrag,glaryutilities,wise,ashampoo winoptimiser,winaso]

also a mimimum 3 user licence, with the option to increase users at a discount. would like to see a nice sleek interface not a dumbed down one.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Well I will keep it on my wifes laptop, for the first year at least the "silent mode" option (no pun intended) will suit her needs/knowledge level.

My own laptop will continue with AVG and various other freeware utilities, my feelings are that I would not be justified in paying for something when excellent free alternatives are freely available.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I'm in two minds about 360. I've started having problems getting it to work with Chrome properly on a separate user account that I created to test the parental filters. For some reason, it really doesn't get on with PCs where IE has been uninstalled.

The backup facility seems handy, but then the built in Windows backup system really isn't bad, so I don't think it adds too much value for me. Then there are the tuning options; for the mass market, auto tuning probably isn't a bad thing, but I don't want it to happen without prompting me first.

I can see what Norton were thinking when they give you a flash up when clicking on a known 'safe' website, but then pretty well all of the website I go to are 'safe', so what's the point? It just get s a bit irritating. Yes, by all means prompt me when going to a known 'unsafe' site - that at least would make sense and happen far less often.

Would I pay for it? Probably not. Would I recommend it for a non tech savvy family? Yes. It covers all the areas of PC and data security that need to be there, and requires little in the way of user input. I just think the interface could be tweaked a bit so that it doesn't permanently let you know it's there.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I have become a fan of Norton in recent years now that I know it is not going to slow down my PC and laptop.

However, NIS provides me with all the aspects that I need from an internet security suite. I need an antivirus, firewall and the Identity Safe has moved form the "nice to have" to "cannot live without it" bracket.

The other things that 360 provides are not high up on my list of necessaries. I do not like the backup part of 360. Acronis True Image better suits my style. I found back up functionality was aimed at inexperienced IT users. I know where my data is saved so I all I want to do is click on the drive and select the appropiate folder. Yes, 360 can do that but it is not intuitive or quick. Similarly, with the tune up side of things, I am happy to let CCleaner deal with most of that for free.

In conclusion, will I use 360 after the free period? - No. Will I stick with Norton for internet security? - Yes, definitely.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

I'm pleased with 360, it did everything required in the background with minimal input from me, (once I'd configured it to my system, exclusions etc.) It didn't interfere with other security tools when I ran them.

However 360 is overkill for my needs, having acronis for backups and various other paid for security and utility programs already installed.

360 would be the 1st item to consider installing on a new pc I have to look after for someone else, such as my wife's.

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

Having re-installed the Beta version and testing it for a day, it all seems OK now.

I have and will continue to purchase Norton Internet Security but not the 360 Suite for my residential clients. The 360 version gives a lot more options - my clients do not need or require or there are better alternatives.

I will personally not purchase 360 however will continue to purchase and recommend Norton internet security.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

I have removed N360 and norton safeweb lite and now running MSE and realise that W7 is running/opening pages a lot faster. When I installed N360 beta there seemed to be no change but I can only assume that the pages that I opened gradually took longer, to open and I did not notice, I expect it was more to do with the norton safeweb than the main product.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your feedback.

I know that the test got off to a slightly shaky start with a little mix-up over the download link, but everyone seems to have managed it in the end.

Some interesting points have been raised, and that's the whole idea behind these tests. The software developers get the benefit of your feedback before launching the final product.

Please feel free to add any other comments you wish to make. We'll shortly pass your names and contact details to Norton, and you'll receive your software licences in due course. In the meantime you can renew your beta licences when prompted to do so by the software.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Thank you, to both FE and Norton for giving us the opportunity again to look at and test their beta ware. Also once again for getting a free licence for a year for the beta ware tested.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...