We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 2012 test - overall impressions

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you for all the feedback you've provided so far.

Now for your general impressions - do you see this software as an improvement over the previous version, and if so, in what way(s)?

Do you think you'll continue to use Norton 2012 after your free one year licence has expired?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Apart from the two issues I mentioned in my previous post in "Likes and Dislikes"Norton has produced no more problems.It may be that the original beta version caused the freeze problem, although I can't understand why it would not let me install "Lockngo". I was using NIS 2011 and I honestly can't see a great deal of difference in the 2012 version. Having said that I like it, I feel confident with it, and I will continue to use it after my 2011 version, and the free 2012 version licenses expire. I used to dislike Norton intensley, now with NIS 2011 and 2012 I think it is the best on the market.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I'm with you there rawprawn I used to be one of Nortons biggest critics but since 360v4 I have been very impressed.

I had a slight problem of it telling me the beta licence will expire in 3 days and to renew it which I did then after next reboot got the same message so I clicked renew again and got told already renewed, but has not happened again.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I find very little in this version that differs from NIS 2011 which is my current security software of choice. It just does its job quietly and effectively. So I shall definitely be using the 2012 version when it becomes available later this year. I assume that will be a one machine licence for the free copy we will receive so my 3-licence 2011 version will continue on my two laptops.

If I have a quibble, and it is a very minor one, Identity Safe, which I use frequently, seems to have been tweaked. The process of signing into it is marginally slower as is accessing the various sites that I have registered. I preferred the 2011 method. As I say, it is a very small change within the great scheme of things and not a major issue.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Its only day 3 for me but overall I like the feel of NIS 2012. Ive had minor issues with it but nothing that would put me off using it by choice. One of these issues is:

Google Chrome Plug In Problem

Whilst attempting to go to the PCA Broadband Speedtest page, which uses Java, Google Chrome became unstable. The warning “The following plug-in is unresponsive: Norton Confidential. Would you like to stop it?” Clicking “Yes” was followed by Chrome informing me that the plug in had crashed and reloading the page brought up the Java test box. This happened again after restarting Chrome.

Switching to IE9 saw no repeat of the problem.

Will there be a thread to accommodate issues like these FE?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

I will not be paying for Norton . The various free programs,mentioned else ware , have been ok for my set up.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

yes will use 2012 when my 2011 expires, rate it first class, cannot say if its the best as i have used no other for a while been as so impressed with norton of late

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I suppose, to be honest, I don't really see it as better - or worse. Not a bad thing, I'm guessing it's about the same. I'm assuming a bit - that the updated mechanics are "better", but I didn't really have any problems with the last version. Will I use it? Yes, I'll use the freebie when I get it and, when my other AV's need updating, I'll probably buy Norton for them. (I do like having more than one on my network, so long as they can scan across the network... belt 'n braces, but...) However, I'll still be heavily influenced by price, especially as I'm not prone to getting viruses and the like... (sez he...hah)..

I do really like it. It's far less invasive/resource hungry than McAfee, and looks easier to delve into the depths than F Secure, which I also use. I didn't have any (major) problems with the last two releases, so that's me sorted for AV. Less I have to think about that, the more I can just get on with "stuff". I don't mind paying to save the time of checking out the freebies, sorting out what's currently good, etc. It's also helpful, since all my computers get used for (home)working or are on the work network, that I can say "I'm using X", and Norton has gone back to having a good reputation amongst the (mainly American) helpdesk staff that I encounter from time to time.

Overall, one of the better bits of software... just gets on with the job!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you for all this interesting feedback. There will be a final thread shortly.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Forum Editor, I am suprised that the testing of this program has not been more stringent. I would have thought that Norton would have liked much more detailed data rather than the impressions that we have posted. I have never taken part in a beta test before, so perhaps I expected something rather different.

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

I must agree with rawprawn, I expected much more rigorous testing. Still, if I get a free year's subscription I'm not complaining. Can we test Adobe Photoshop next please?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room