We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 2012 test - overall impressions

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you for all the feedback you've provided so far.

Now for your general impressions - do you see this software as an improvement over the previous version, and if so, in what way(s)?

Do you think you'll continue to use Norton 2012 after your free one year licence has expired?

Like this post
mobileman1953

Likes # 0

have not noticed any great difference to 2011 version , been using nortons now for 3 years and yes i will certainly keep on using nortons after free licence has expired

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

I am very impressed and I will probably continue to use it after my free licence has expired.

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

Once I've got used to the lack of user interaction I think I would continue to use it. I previously used a seperate firewall and antivirus and I like the idea of an all-in-one suite. Norton certainly seems to have little impact on system resources.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

I haven't used Norton for some time, in fact the only contact I had was taking it off peoples computers, so I can't really comment on more recent versions. I am impressed though, very unobtrusive and requires very little interaction from the user. Ideal I think for people who are not interested in what goes on under the bonnet.

As to whether I will continue to use it or not, I don't know. Perhaps I am too used to what I know.

Like this post
Newuser38

Likes # 0

I have not yet used it long enough to compsre with previous versions but as mentioned elsewhere I have had a bit of trouble getting my head round what is available compared with 2011 so as to compare. It does look more complicated in set up terms.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

yes will continue with norton,over the last couple of years they have greatly improved.

like 2011, 2012 is first class too

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

I didn't continue to use the previous version of Norton so I'm working from memory but this version seems more complex and I don't like having to check what each function is before deciding whether I want it or not. I suspect I might be a lone voice with my view but here goes.

For those who want an all in one package it's very good however I'm quite fond of the software I currently use mainly because of their simplicity. I like MSE for the AV, Spybot for the anti-spyware, McAfee Site Advisor for the effective identification of possible dodgy sites and the Windows 7 Firewall together with my router's inbuilt firewall. The only of of these I have to update is Spybot as all the others work/update without intervention. However I only run Spybot once a week or so and it's not onerous to update it each time.

I don't know if some of my dislikes of some aspects of Norton are due to it being beta or whether they will continue into the final version but I definitely do not like settings I had changed previously being set back to the default again when major updates are installed, particularly the re-appearance of the browser toolbars and the Outlook anti-spam toolbar. MSE used to be particularly annoying when it used to switch on Automatic Updates every time there was a major update. I note that MS have stopped it doing that now. I would much prefer to be asked before the installation what options I would like to be installed however I suspect that this may be a minority view.

Whilst this would be a good product for many people who like to pay for something that covers everything it's not the product for me.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Overall impressions so far is very positive the only time I even noticed it was there was when it picked up on 4 items of spyware that MSE had missed.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I originally installed an early version which clearly had some issues or conflicts with my test PC. The newer second inatallation was a great improvement and my reaction went from "annoying error messages" with the first install to "is it still working" with the second install as everything worked seemlessly in the background. I have spent the last few hours going through as many of the aditional add ons as I could manage and everything seemed fine with no hiccups.

I have got so used to MSE and I have not had any problems at all with it that I'm still undecided what to do when this testing is over. I went so off Symantec a couple of years ago because of the way it took over my PC but this version does not do that and my resource meter hardly registered much usage of power.

However taking off Symantec seems to be as bad as ever as so many files appear to be left behind even when you tell it you are not going to re-install. I just have this thing about Companies which leave stuff behind on my PC. This is clearly a very good program and does what it says on the box. Whether I will stick with it or not may very well depend on how it uninstalls next time.

Like this post
Chaz10

Likes # 0

I like it and will continue to use it,however it's the parental controls that are driving me mad as my 8 year old son now uses this laptop aswell as me so obviously enabled the control software,but everytime you wish to download anything it blocks it and makes you visit a website to seek permission,why. A simple "enter a password to disable" would be a lot better or am I missing something?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data