We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 2012 test - any likes/dislikes?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that you've had a chance to become more familiar with this version, do you have any specific likes or dislikes - anything at all that would deter you from using the final version, or anything that you particularly like?

Like this post
Jameslayer

Likes # 0

It took me a while to find the history under the performance tab. Would prefer it if the tab was relabelled.

More my lack of tech savy know. It says rift has used 100% of at least one cpu. Is that refering to one core or all of them.

One the postive it found several trojans that mse had missed. It doesnt seem to hamper performance and seems to be low maintance.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I like the low resource use, the simple interface, the fact it installs without needing to update immediately (that may only be for the beta; please update the release candidate daily/weekly, so it doesn't immediately need updating following install). I prefer Norton layout to McAfee and F-Secure (which is too simple for words). I like the garish colour scheme - for an AV it has impact... if it was my WP or email app, I'd be less pleased!

I don't like the automatic toolbar installation, I don't like the lag when it is doing a background scan on inactivity, and you start to use the computer. Oh, I haven't had a "monthly report" screen yet, but I do hope they've dropped that (or made it very, very easy to stop getting another!).

I haven't played with all the features yet; I'll post further likes/dislikes when I have.

Like this post
Chaz10

Likes # 0

I like the start up screen with all the threat levels,cpu usage etc....looks great, also a very clean interface to work with, only thing I disliked was the parental controls as I can't seem to find an easy way to turn them off. Maybe I'm just being picky!!

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

I'm finding it difficult getting used to not being asked if I want to allow a programme or a process internet access etc. ( I'm a long term Zone Alarm user). I find myself sometimes wondering whether Norton is actually doing it's job as there are so few messages coming up.

I dare say I could get used to this though.

Still getting the occasional warning from Microsoft Action Centre about AV and AS not running even though Norton indicates all is secure. This worries me.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

Like gardener, I miss the 'ask' option when using 'custom internet access for individual programs', apart from that I'm finding it hard to fault.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Loaded norton 2012 beta and it stated auto fix error found.

Restart was done.

Then I did a full scan.It "found and fixed " a score of problems.

In ten cases it removed a file from each of ten games and some other programs.

They were all "false positives".

I decided that Norton 2012 beta was too aggressive for the vista test pc and did a pc restore plus uninstall of Norton.The vista pc is now back in order.

Then I loaded Norton 2012 beta onto a win xp with all xp updates.

It stated it was incompatible with zone and avast.

Checked for Norton updates and that finished off the xp pc.

Could not get it to boot and "F1" did not work.

A full restore from original disc's -back to factory settings.

On to MS to update the op system SP3 .

Then download Norton 2012 beta again.

Did a full scan and it "found" a doz or so problems including my settings for the key board. one key for mail another for internet etc.

Did a restore and thats me up to date.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

I like the insight feature, it gives me an opportunity to check files Norton has quarantined, there are a number of security apps on this pc that could be classed as malware these find their way into quarantine, a simple matter to check the files using insight and make an informed decision on keeping them or deleting.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

I haven't found anything to dislike yet, I'll post if I do. I do like the way it just gets on with things, I also like the interface.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Likes: A fairly uncluttered Home User Interface with simple icons and headings to explore as we go on. A quick exploration of these leads me to recognise some of the terminology experienced in the Norton 360 interface which if you`re familiar with seems to make sense.

Every dialog box does take some understanding but overall it seems quite logical and experimenting with the various settings and running different types of scans was interesting.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Dislikes (Noting too serious here): A popout appeared as I was making installation notes stating “High Disk Usage by MS Windows Search Indexer”. That grabs your attention and immediately looking at Performance Report from the Security History drop down reveals that “User Idle” was confirmed and the recommended action was none. So why interrupt the computer user with this one? Is it a “Comforter” for the user?

The full system scan results showed proudly that “All threats resolved” and as expected it had found 20 tracking cookies. At the bottom of the dialog box it stated “Removed files are quarantined. To restore click here” On doing so it goes to Security History with the Show Quarantine in a drop down box – this actually was empty but selecting Resolved Security Risks from the said drop down box revealed a summary report. Clicking on File Insight revealed the identities of all the cookies but most noticeably there appeared to be no way to restore them as suggested by the first dialog box.

Application Ratings

From the main user interface selecting Application Ratings brought up Norton Insight to give an initial report. This scores applications against community ratings and gave a myriad of results but looking at the four columns alongside each file name it is not immediately obvious what these are. Looking closer at the black column header you can see 4 dark grey icons which if you hover over them reveal trust level, prevalence, resource usage and stability respectively. These icons are not entirely obvious and it immediately raises a concern about visually impaired users of this interface.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good