We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 2012 test - any likes/dislikes?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that you've had a chance to become more familiar with this version, do you have any specific likes or dislikes - anything at all that would deter you from using the final version, or anything that you particularly like?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Yes I have had a cpouple of problems, bear with me. 1) I have a program called lockngo

my old external HD died and I had to install lockngo on my new 1tb portable drive. Norton would not let me do it saying it was dangerous. I disabled the antivirus auto protect, and the smart firewall, but it still would not let me install kockngo. Eventually because I was running out of time I uninstalled Norton, installed lockngo on my portable drive then used system restore to get back to square one. Not a good way to proceed!

2) After a full scan I clicked on "Settings" and it froze with this message " Symantic System Framework is not responding" I had a choice to wait or close program, I closed but had to reboot to reload Norton. I do not know if this was afault in Norton or my computer, but it has not occurred again. I like to think it was a glitch in my computer, as I like the program very much, and since I already run NIS 2011 I would upgrade to NIS 2012. It is neat and tidy, uses a minimal of resources and simply works quietly and efficiently in the background.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

I don't like the assumption that you'll immediately want toolbars adding to your browser although they're easy to turn off but you can't uninstall them, the same goes for the anti-spam toolbar it foists on Outlook. Turning that off causes error messages occasionally when starting Outlook. In addition every time I've had a major update it doesn't remember the settings and I have to turn each one I don't want off again.

Also I prefer McAfee Site Advisor as it provides clear results in Google searches and to date has been wholly reliable and because there are so many settings that you have to wade through in Norton it takes time to identify and then decide whether you want them or not.

Like this post
mobileman1953

Likes # 0

like the way it updates regulary , also like the way it just gets on with the job of protecting the computer without any adverse effects on performance , no dislikes as yet

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

Forgot to add my likes; I like the way it's generally as unobtrusive in use as MSE ignoring the occasional update failures which I've attributed to it being a beta so I'm not specifically marking it down for that.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Like some of the above I have used Norton since the last beta test we did, this version so far is just as good with no issues so far and as before very unobtrusive. I would not hesitiate to use it as my main security/anti virus programme.

Like this post
Newuser38

Likes # 0

I like auto updating and scanning, and as already mentioned its unobtrusiveness. I initially found the settings difficult to follow, this is probably due to my being used to the layout of NIS2011.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

running ok, no probs so far very pleased

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

forget to add once set up you can sit back and let it take care of the pc

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Like rawprawn I had to do an uninstall as I was having problems with its self diagnosing facility failing to restart. From previous experience of Norton products leaving things behind I decided to use Revo Uninstaller and it took 8 mins for a complete uninstall. After the Norton Uninstaller was finished Revo then found a further 27 items which it removed and then a further 79 items on its final sweep. I see Symantec are as bad as ever with leaving rubbish behind. My slow shutdowns immediately went back to circa 10 seconds and then CCleaner found 1 further item. That is a lot of items to be left behind after an uninstall.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

My second install went as smooth as the first but I think I got a more up to date installation as it did some things differently. This time it saw MSE working and asked to uninstall it which I did do. I was not asked this during the first installation. First full scan for new installation now in process.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer