We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 2012 test - any performance issues?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You've installed the software, and judging from your responses in the installation thread that went smoothly. Now we would like to hear about any performance issues - has there been any apparent effect on the way your machine runs with Norton 2012 installed?

Like this post
Jameslayer

Likes # 0

No change here. I was using MSE before.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Just in case we are not getting a "problemsn & errors" thread, I've had a couple of errors pop up from Norton Autofix... 8921,251 .... which wasn't fixed, 8504,100 which was "product proxy settings" which was autofixed...

Both still brought up the webpage for further help, even the latter, which was fixed. the first didn't actually seem to be a real problem... went away on update...

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

My second install appears to be much better than the first one. The first scan on the second install found 4 tracking cookies which the original installation didn't report. Shutdown also back to what it was previously, ie circa 10 seconds. No errors being reported and my Internet connection seems to be stable once more. Clearly Symantec have made some improvements over the past week or so. I'm now going to play around a bit with some of the other bits I am not so familiar with. Wish me luck.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

With Norton Full Scan Running plus Outlook, Word, Skype and Chrome plus a couple of other programs CPU usage is between 25 and 35%. No performance issue there.

With Norton running in the background without being tasked to do anything specific and running a similar number of programs there is absolutely no issue that I can detect.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

F.E, in the last couple of days this version of Norton has decided that about 5 drivers have been infected by a Heuristic Virus and decided that it was best to delete them.

Unfortunalty my wife was working on the PC at the time when the warning came up and decided to follow the advice to delete the files.

Any way to cut a long story short there was no infection but now I have no drivers for sound card, DVD Burner, printer and scanner, it's also decided that any thing I download is now a secrity concern and and has no knowledge that any of the files I try to download are safe, it's also asking to delete another couple of files because they may contain a virus.

I have run 3 different scans from other anti virus software and also a deep scan from Norton, all with the same result, no infections.

I think I may have to do a clean install to put matters right but thats the way with Beta versions, you never know what will happen.

If my spelling is not perfect it's because it's now decided that the spell checker is not safe.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite