We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 2012 test - let's get started

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Welcome to those of you who were selected to test the beta release of Norton 2012. I need to start by offering an apology for the delay in getting this test under way - you'll be aware that we recently re-launched our website, and frankly we've all been pretty busy dealing with the inevitable glitches and tweaks.

We're finally ready to go however, so let's make a start.

All of you should have downloaded and installed the software, and you have probably had a chance to try it out. What we would like to know in this thread is how the installation went. If you encountered any installation problems please post about them here. Do not post on any other aspects of the software, and please do not start your own thread. Experience has shown that the test will work better if we all step through the various scenarios together.

Once we have the installation situation covered we'll start a new thread in which we will investigate performance.

That's all from me for now - over to you.

Like this post
n47.

Likes # 0

Downloaded and installed on XP sp3 OK.

Like this post
n47.

Likes # 0

Slightly amend the above posting. On completeion of the installation it ran a scan.

Error 8504,104

scan complete we were unable to find automated fix.

Scan was clean.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

At the start of the installation it said it would uninstall any conflicting programs. Zonealarm was removed but AVG was left intact. I haven't noticed any problems yet, installation and first scan went very smoothly.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Installed on Windows 7 OK.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Installation went without any problems. Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Just finding out if I can post here... I was included in an earlier email saying I'd be in the test, but haven't been emailed a link... so I'm probably not part of the test... and this won't post! If it does, F.E... was that Norton link you said wasn't from you actually from you?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Installation went OK. Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Now telling me I have only 4 days left on the subscription!

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Well, I've joined in, late! (I haven't received the most recent email from F.E., but got the original invite, so may be told to go home and not play... I feel like the 23rd small boy invited to play football in the park, jumpers for goalposts, mmm, one of the last two to be picked... it's not me... "I'll be ref", I shout, only to be told that the dog is ref, so I snivel my way home...)

Install went smoothly. It uninstalled McAfee Total Protection, appeared to install in under a minute (although install process continued to run in the background for quite a bit longer- cheating a bit there). Restart not needed, which I like.

Clean, smart, fast install routine, beats McAfee's slow install & required restart, no problems yet.

Win 7 Professional 64bit on old AMD64 4000, 1.5GB RAM

(Should I stay, or should I go, F.E.? (sobs into snotty hankie... ))

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

No installation problems. Norton detected Zone Alarm Pro as incompatible and called up the latter’s uninstall procedure and the uninstall went smoothly.

I was a bit surprised that Norton didn’t detect NOD32 antivirus as incompatible too. After Norton had installed I uninstalled NOD32 to avoid any conflicts.

Once installed the program began a 'fix', whatever that was.

Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Intel Core Duo E6850 3GHz. 4 GB RAM.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features