We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SAGE INSTANT ACCOUNTS TEST - and finally.......

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's time to draw the test period to a close. Now that you've had a good chance to use the software, and explore its facilities in more detail tell us what you think.

The software can be bought for under £100 - in your opinion is it value for money?

If you've never used a Sage product before did you find it easy to understand?

Any real niggles, or has Sage got it about right?

As promised, all of you will receive a free licence from Sage, but there's a procedure to go through - I'll email everyone with the details over the next few days.

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to thank you for participating in the test. We think it went fairly well - there's certainly been some high-quality feedback for Sage to digest.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Value for money - at about £100 definitely. It would certainly help my business.

I have never used any business software before, let alone Sage. I found it very intuitive and soon found my way around it. What I couldn't work out was resolved by the help files.

The only real niggle was quotations. The fact that to provide a quote for products and services, ie supply & fit, you needed two quotations, one for parts and one for labour.

Excellent piece of kit.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

One thing I forgot was the uninstall, which still left my PC littered with files.

Like this post
Roger Evens

Likes # 0

Good value at £100. I've never used business software before but found it fairly straight forward to use for my purposes.

Like this post
PrefabSprout

Likes # 0

Apart from the issue with reports as detailed in the other thread, I'll quite happily pay around £100. As a complete newcomer to any Sage product, I struggled a bit, but the help files soon helped me on my way.

Pine Man sums it up quite well - Excellent Piece of kit.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

I'd never used business software before but managed to find my way round it quite easily.

For a small business at about £100, I would say yes it is good value for money.

Like this post
jjss

Likes # 0

Sage certainly is a comprehensive package for most small businesses and for under £100 is certainly value for money.

I’ve never used Sage before and for me I’ve been finding it a long steep learning curve and most things, beyond the very basics, needed a trip to the help files.

I’ve been trying to mould Sage to my business which is service based, I basically sell my time, so I don’t buy to sell goods, so for me, I’ve struggled to see Sage as a step forward from using the tools that come with MS Office, Word/Excel.

Are there any real niggles? I haven’t really been able to get to grips fully with all that Sage has to offer where the real niggles might be, the only one that came to me is the ability to correct mistakes easily but safely without having to reload backup data, having said that, there may be a way; I just haven’t found it yet.

In all honesty this, for me, has been the toughest beta testing, but I guess that’s what makes life interesting. Those “little grey cells” certainly have been well exercised on this one!!

Jack

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Pine Man,

I am trying to get my head around why you need two separate quotations.

One way around it might be to use a Service quotation and list the products.

For instance as a garage we list a discription and cost for labour. We then detail parts.

I know it is probably not as ideal as using a product invoice, but for a quote maybe a compromise? Just a suggestion, as there may be
many reasons why it does not suit your set-up.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I think this Software is good. At under £100.00 I will let my Brother know, he has just started a business after being made redundant and he knows nothing about accounts. I think this package will suit him for his first venture into working from home.

Can't say more than that, they get a sale from my testing.

Ok, I can say more...
The designer tool is the only part I had issues with, finding it in the first place was not so easy. And perhaps my being used to 'integrated with MS Office' for so long now I just was not ready for working outside of MS Word. Perhaps new users will find it rather easy.

The report tool can get you in a muddle so I appreciate the extensive context sensitive help built in.

I also liked the option to set a value in the bank balance that was a positive number but shows Red. My short term memory escapes me, but it effectively said that you were low on funds even with say £500.00 in the bank and would then show you in the red until you go back over the limit you set. That is quite handy when you deal with small accounts.

Overall I was pleased with this software and I will port my business over to it (from MS Accounts 2009) when I get my key.

Thanks for the opportunity to test and provide feedback.

Like this post
Newuser38

Likes # 0

I think the software is good value, perhaps needs to be clearer on what type of business accounts it is most suitable for, before purchase.This can of course be found on the main Sage site.

I had some difficulty in setting it up fully, quickly, probably just me, but I find it easier to work from a paper installation and users guide. I appreciate that I could have printed the procedures etc but lot of work.

Thanks for the opportunity to be involved hope it will be of value to Sage.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I may have this completely wrong but here goes.

I purchase a stock item and it is located in my warehouse. I get a request for a quote to supply and fit that item so I open a 'product' quotation, which links to my stock and can insert the item in my quote. There is no provision within that form for a labour charge so I did what you said and opened a 'service' quotation and followed it through by inserting an hourly rate labour charge AND THEN typed in the item and cost, which I wouldn't have to do with a 'product' quotation as it links to my warehouse stock.

I hope that makes sense. In addition don't forget that you 'convert' your quotes to invoices and I'm not sure how that would actually work out.

In my opinion this is not deal-breaker as far as Sage goes but a 'general' invoice with the ability to, properly, insert goods and labour in the same form would be an improvement.

Maybe we'll get some feedback from Sage?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...