We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SAGE INSTANT ACCOUNTS - initial reactions

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that you have installed the software it's time to start using it. Over the next few days please experiment. Explore the software's functions and features, and find out how intuitive it is - do you find your way around fairly easily, or are there things which baffle you?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks for that:-)

Like this post
flossydl2

Likes # 0

Ok, I've only set up Sage this afternoon and have spent the last few hours setting up company and entering on all sales and purchase data for April. Have worked out a way to enter sales that does not involve setting up new customers for each sale as car sales business so all are new customers. It is staright forward for me but then I'm used to using Sage Accounts Line 50 at work so I was surprised at how familiar everything looked.
My only problem is going to be VAT as second hand car sales the VAT is worked on a margin scheme. ie you don't pay vat on sales and reclaim on purchases of cars, you get the gross profit of each car and pay vat on that figure. This is simple if timeconsuming on excel not sure if possible in Sage, will investigate help menues

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

PrefabSprout,

Your query re. N/C (you may have sorted it) 'nominal code' the basis for producing a set of accounts I think.

Every entry you make will have a nominal code. The codes are grouped and determine where the entry fits onto the balance sheet etc.

I don't know what the packaging states these days, but when I first purchased Sage years ago I read on the box something to the effect that no bookkeeping or computer experience was necessary. To fully appreciate the program and from experience, I wholly disagreed as the software sat on a shelf for a couple of year until I decided to pick it up again.

I found I had to go on a course to get my head around it. Suddenly it clicked and I have not looked back since.

However, I think for simply producing invoices etc. it will be easier to understand.

Hope that helps.

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Oh and just to add - for which n/c (nominal codes to use) Choose:

Company
Nominal Ledger
COA (Chart of Accounts)
Double click of Default Chart of Accounts

Clicking on the L/H col will show the group numbers in the R/H col for the correct code in that catagory.

Hope that makes sense and that I have not posted against guidelines for this forum.

Like this post
PrefabSprout

Likes # 0

Thank you Cara2, its kind of making sense now!

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Good. Its a great program, particularly if you get to use all its potential.

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Does anyone know what form of backup we have for the software?

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I thought the Key we had was for the Full Version, I get a pop up saying I am using a Trial Version...

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

I think it would be helpful to establish that we have full backup software.

Sage Accounting is essential to my business and I don't want to get any further down the line putting in data, only to have to restore to my older version bacause I don't have a proper version to back up with in an emergency.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

When you select back up it will open a dialogue box and ask where you want to send it.

When you have decided where to send it the default will be data only. If you click the Advanced tab on the dialogue box you can select all you want backed up.

I selected ALL of the choices and did a back up and later, after I had to do a re-install of Sage, I used that back-up to restore everything including passwords etc and it worked a treat.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

iMac Retina 5K first look review: hands on with the new Retina iMac (Updated)