We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using the Virgin Digital Helper

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

So, you have installed the software, registered yourself on the Virgin server, and reported on your installation experience in the thread entitled 'Virgin Digital helper - welcome to the beta test' - you have done that, haven't you?

What we would like to hear about now is your opinions on its useability - pretend that you have a computer problem and see how then service sets about fixing it. Did you find the advice helpful? It might be an idea to use a problem that you've experienced and fixed, or had fixed by someone else - so you know if the Virgin service is on the right track.

There will be other aspects to explore, but we'll do that later; for the time being please restrict your feedback to answering the question above.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I'm far from keen on being offered so many fixes without an obvious "Undo" feature. I ran all the fixes offered, just for the hell of it, and a few new problems emerged... wireless internet connection was repeatedly dropped, aa an example, and the bloody language toolbar reappeared! I don't want that, but I didn't notice that I was getting it back. OK, even for a novice user, I'd expect more information on what each change was, even if it was hidden under a "more info" level button. Some of the titles are obscure... well, they almost seem to be deliberately complex.

I don't like the fact that once running, you can't close the program - well, Taskmanager will do it, but I'd only want something as intrusive as this to run when and if I want it to.

The automated fixes seem to be fairly common to many of the tune-up programs (Ashampoo do a couple) that are free, and are less intrusive.

I'm more reminded of the numerous dubious antimalware programs that find hundreds of problems with your computer, then offer to "fix" them for a nominal fee.

Maybe it has a place in the market, but I can't see it myself.

The "send" text box needs to be larger... you need to see your whole question, not just 23 characters....

"Jordan" currently being very helpful... I'm being obtuse.... reminds me of the old "Eliza" program... "and how does that make you feel?"

(Sorry Jordan, if you are one of the guys reading the forum! We aren't really as obtuse as we may seem - well, not always!)

So, larger text box for typing, option to close down, different colour scheme (10% of us male nerds are colour blind, you know, and Virgin red is not popular!), more info on changes offered, offer of restore if Hell is unleashed (it does save the registry, just doesn't tell us)....

Like this post
Chaz10

Likes # 0

Just ran the health check option, results came back with 23 problems, listed them all with a checkbox next to each one so I ticked them all and clicked "fix" Managed to fix 6 out of 23 but that was it, no further options for fixing the remaining 17, WHY?

Marks out of 10 so far, 1

Like this post
Chaz10

Likes # 0

No one there at 22.12............think I'm being a bit late here.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

OK its telling me things are wrong that I Know are definitely OK.

so I asked for help on a slow internet connection

Please wait for the next available agent. You are at position 2.

For ever?

Appears to be lots of router traffic out of my PC but nothing coming back.

Got fed up waiting to be connected to a chat champion (perhaps it was my slow connection causing the problem).

Not sure I like it sitting in the system tray feeding out info all the time.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

you're producing some high-quality feedback here. Thank you for such detailed comments.

We'll keep this thread running for a little longer before I open another one with a different question for you to respond to. Feel free to post here again if you have other comments to add, but please keep to the useability topic - try not to take us off at a tangent. There'll be an opportunity for you to post your other reactions later.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

Health check came up with 15 issues mostly very minor and some I hadn't a clue about. In te end I clicked on all issues and they all came back fixed.

I am running no AV, malware or spyware. Just the windows firewall, defender and router firewall. It detected that I have no AV but found no other issues.

Speed up pc just came with
disable remote registery settings
and
clear application cache

Browser booster found 2 issues

increase storrage for sites visited

and

clear windows temory files.

have not fixed those as I clear files on a regular basis and my storage is set to my settings.

easy for the novice and a bit of interest for those who like to delve into the program.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Oh, one that I might forget to add in a later, more relevant thread; one setting that is "restored" is the startup login password being requested. I've met this once with my sister, where one of these pesky optimising programs reinstated the login... password was not blank, but she had no idea what it had been set to months before. Might be a fix worth leaving out.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

but, bearing in mind that this program probably isn't aimed at people like us, it is certainly easy to use for a novice.

My main gripes are, as has already been mentioned, the problem descriptions being too vague (although again, a computer novice probably isn't going to even bother looking at them!), and the difficulty in closing the application (i.e. the only program I've ever come across where you have to left click the icon in the system tray to close it, rather than right click).

Two other issues I have had since running the fixes are:

1) Opening Outlook 2007 now informs me that Windows Search Engine is disabled and that it will not be able to provide fast results when using the instant search.

2) While playing a game online (Call of Duty MW2), it suddenly minimized right during the middle of the action and I was presented with a Windows message box requesting a username and password (which I suspect was the Virgin application trying to send some information somewhere?).

I haven't got any problems with my computer at the moment to specifically test it with, but I'll perhaps 'create' one tonight and see how it gets on with it.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

Numlock key problem

Ronnie L "My name is Ron what problem can i help you with"

Me "I have a problem with my laptop keyboard typing numbers instead of certain letters"

Ron "Is this a desktop or laptop"

Me "a laptop"

Ron " can you see a Fn key on the left hand side of the keyboard"

I won't bore you with the rest, sorted within a minute, however the initial mention that it was a laptop keyboard didn't immediately get picked up, some inattention to keywords there, is it a bot or real person at the other end?

Was AOL's help similar some years ago ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger