We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using the Virgin Digital Helper

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

So, you have installed the software, registered yourself on the Virgin server, and reported on your installation experience in the thread entitled 'Virgin Digital helper - welcome to the beta test' - you have done that, haven't you?

What we would like to hear about now is your opinions on its useability - pretend that you have a computer problem and see how then service sets about fixing it. Did you find the advice helpful? It might be an idea to use a problem that you've experienced and fixed, or had fixed by someone else - so you know if the Virgin service is on the right track.

There will be other aspects to explore, but we'll do that later; for the time being please restrict your feedback to answering the question above.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Click
select your type of BB
scan
Fix

Easy for the novice you won't delve

but for us "tinkerers"
if you try a "technical details" easy to miss the scroll down to tick lower items.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Ran the health check button and unsurprisingly it came up with some issues. I looked at the technical details to find a simple summary like "Duplicate acknowledgements".

Fine but the summaries are ranging from generally understandable to scratch your head what does this mean. I would have preferred each item to hyperlink to a more detailed explanation so that I can decide if I agree there is something which should be fixed. I would not agree to click the fix button without understanding what is going on. I imagine that I could check. Tried the facility to talk to an advisor and being helped. main point still applies.

There is no detailed help section to explain what the issues are in more detail.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

I typed in "help", Microsoft critical updates will not install, below is the "chat" from digitalhelp, not making a lot of sense!

Can't see any where else I could try to find a solution to this problem.

Digihelp Auto: Want me to get you over to our team? Or keep chatting with me?
Digihelp Auto: Thanks. What else can I help you with?
Digihelp Auto: Still learning.. Please reword, or click free help to automatically extend your search.
Digihelp Auto: Hi. Welcome to Virgin Digital Help. What can I do for you?
You: I cannot download Microsoft critical updates
Digihelp Auto: Still learning.. Kindly say that another way, or you can also click free help to automatically extend your search.
You: Microsoft critical updates will not install
Digihelp Auto: Check out these topics..
After Installing Windows Updates

Like this post
mobileman1953

Likes # 0

virus squish tells me no firewall or virus protection installed , although i have nis 2010 installed,tried other features but had no problems before so can not tell if they done any good or not, when i try to log into my account i enter email and password but when i click on login nothing happens

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

I pretended to have only 8 colours on monitor.

After a few questions 'Maynard' asked for permission to remotely access PC. I said "No" as I didn't really have a problem.

'Maynard then offered to call me on a land line.

So I think if I had got a problem it would have been fixed.

Like this post
babybell

Likes # 0

I've tried to approach this with a novice in mind as I regularly clean and fix faults myself. Firstly, running the health check. 26 issues out of 29 checks. Ouch. As a novice, lets trust Virgin and go with the fix, no problems. But, as a computer lover, I'm hurt by all the problems, so I can't help looking at the technical details, and wow, try working that screen out! Firstly, paid and free columns, whats that about??? Secondly, all the technical jargon is too much, even for me, to understand. Effective data transmission? My Maximum Segment Size is also not ok? What does this all mean? A little hover over description would be more than helpful here please Virgin! Anyway, I make the changes and Norton 360 suddenly shouts at me "Why are you turning on Windows Firewall" Ok, sorry Norton, you know best. Apart from that, all over changes seem to have worked...

Speed Up check, more problems but again no description as to what the problems mean! Anyway, lets fix all 14 problems...All ok, no problems.

Ha ha, security check. "Uh oh, looks like you dont have any security software installed" Well i think Norton would have something to say about that. And, I'm sure if any novice read this, they would instantly panic and be faced with conflicts galore when they install the free software from AVG. Terrible.

Everything else is fine. The only other issue is closing the programe down. The icon near the clock in the bottom right. Why when you right click does it relaunch, but to get the close programe options, you need to left click, which seems to be the opposite of the norm.

That's it for now, I'm going to browse the internet for a while and check to this if any other issues arrise.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

I told 'Jordan' that my keyboard @ and " were swopped.

Told me to unplug keyboard and plug back in.(NO MENTION OF POWER OFF FIRST).

I asked about power off, he said yes.

Told him still same.

He said try another keyboard.

Told him still same.

Jordan then said I should contact PC maker.

NOT a good result as this problem would be caused by US keyboard settings (instead of UK).

Like this post
babybell

Likes # 0

I may have jumped the gun and reviewed the wrong part of the Digial Helper.

I will set about asking a computer problem to the Digihelp and see what response I get.

Like this post
mobileman1953

Likes # 0

can not log into account went on live chat to maynard he tried everything could not fix problem told me he would ring me tomorrow at 8pm see what happens then

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

I reported that my XP machine was running slow.

After about 5 minutes Jordan replied and proceeded to diagnose the 'problem' and soon asked to take control of my PC.

I gave him permission and he pointed me to a site where I had to log in. I had been there a short while before he sent me the log in number.

This then presented me with a file to download and run which also happened before I received instructions.

Once he had access I watched as he went to where I would expect a competent PC technician to go: Task Manager (where he searched through running processes etc, and also msconfig

The outcome was that he thought there's too many programs running in the background. I mentioned that I had been considering doing a reload and he warned me about losing data.

This is where I had the only real problem. Instead of keeping his answer to a single message it could span 2 or 3. So when I was replying to his warning about losing data by saying that the data was backed up he came back at the same time suggesting backups.

Computer Springclean service was then offered which I declined

So there were minor problems but they certainly wouldn't put me off using the service.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers