We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IMP beta - presentation creation

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that we have plenty of download information we'll move forward.

Could you set about creating a presentation, and feed back on how easy (or otherwise) it was to configure slides, add text/image/video content, and add new slides.

Please don't worry too much at this stage about the complexities of the various options - we'll come to that soon; what we need to know first of all is whether you found it straightforward to move from a blank canvas to a finished presentation with multiple slides.

Like this post
bazb

Likes # 0

Getting frustrated with IMP now. it seams to just randomly decide which image will be shown when the presentation runs.

In the presentation, on one slide I used a 4 box template using 3 images and 1 text, it only displayed 1 image and no text.

Everything showing in the time line for this 4 box template slide, all the other slides are hit and miss if a image will be dispayed or not.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

We have just created a presentation of 14 slides of which 7 pictures are missing when we viewed the preview. We realise that this is a beta programme so there are no help files, but we would hope that in the final release the developers include a very comprehensive help file that includes within it how to address the missing slides.

The header & footer boxes have cutoff chunks of text thus making the presentation look shabby,there was no indication that perhaps we had used too many words along the line and we couldnt see how we could fix the missing text.

We havent tried to save the presentation as the preview option missed so many images that there isnt really anything worth saving.The "save as" option took milliseconds to complete so others having problems might be to do with the "save" option only.

(The "we" I refer to is myself and my daughter as we worked together on creating a presentation)

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Well I had my small presentation running and looking more or less how I wanted it, so I thought I would explore and experiment in changing transitions and build. Now I cannot get the presentation to run in auto, when I try the image in the first slide comes up but no text and it does not move onto the next slide. Also I put on an image in the logo box and decided to remove it, no matter what I do it will not let me remove this image, if I select it and click on cut it mysteriously cuts another image from my presentation. Now a bit lost

Like this post
anthonystorey

Likes # 0

after 10 minutes playing around i got the feel of what everything does so first impressions are that its quite easy to use.

my first real attempt the outline boxes in the template wouldnt show up so i had to start again

next time i went to preview a page and IMP told me it was saving the presentation but it was still doing this 10 mins later so i shut it down.

just made a simple presentation of six slides ive imported some photos and when i came to preview the presentation the imported photos were not there but when i changed them to stock photos they were in the presentation. But imported video appeared with no problems.

ill now have a read to see if anyone has got any similar problems

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

WinXP - fully updated. 1GB RAM P4 2.4GHz

I made a simple 5 page sideshow -

Takes ages to open the program.

There's no help or on-line support available - pretty poor do for an expensive package supposedly at beta-release.

When it first appeared on the screen it didn't appear on the taskbar. Only when clicking somewhere in it does it appear there.

Controls all over the place in odd positions.

Couldn't find out how to resize headers and footers.

Seemed pretty slow

Quite liked the fact it "sort-of" created a stand-alone flash presentation - might help with distribution of presentations. Wanted to find out more about this (but can't 'cos there ain't no help!)

Did a similar presentation more quickly and easily in Open Office presentation module (which I'd never used before.) This seemed a bit slow to me also.

Like this post
Falkyrn

Likes # 0

First attempt went well keeping the presentation to the bare bones. However I would echo some of the above comments regarding the placement of the differing functions/controls.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

at the bottom, it's a bit easier... but that wasn't at all obvious as a means of changing the layout on a "per slide basis". Normally I expect the word "Template" to refer to a document as a whole, not a part of it...

So wow I can add extra components to individual slides, by changing the template for that slide... but I can't change the size of individual component frames...

I'm struggling here!!

It should perhaps be added that I've only ever had to use PowerPoint, in anger, a few times, (maybe 4 or 5 times). I've had no training on it but managed to get that working to an acceptable level much easier than this.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Well, I've given it a bit of a workout now, and I have to say that it doesn't inspire me, especially taking the expected retail price into consideration.

Firstly, it may be fairly easy to use, but I don't think it gives particularly good results, coming across as quite limited. I'd avoid calling it "intuitive" because, although it may be easy, there were a number of things I expected it to do that it doesn't - or doesn't obviously do.

Slow to load, and no indication that it is loading... might be better with an opening screenshot.

You can't just double-click on a selection to progress to the next menu, as you can in many Windows apps, you have to find the OK button each time. I wanted to be able to just drag n' drop when I couldn't. Not being able to move text around as I wanted was also a bind.

Font range seemed limited - not accessing the full range available on my computer.

Why stick "Save As" under an option "Migrate"...?

I also get missing slides - often when putting images/video from different folders in the presentation.

I managed to get it to repeatedly crash if I renamed the original of one of the imported images while the presentation was being prepared.

Boxes don't scale to fit text size.

Video formats? I had problems importing files as only Flash available... there are plenty of free converters, and including this within the product would be an essential for me.

Settings... Global seems to do nothing...

However, I did manage to make a decent set of ten slides, and have transferred it across to another machine. It looks "OK", but I don't feel that it's as good as I'd have got from Powerpoint, even if it had been my first Powerpoint presentation.

I'm going to make another presentation, and see how quickly the learning curve is: can I do something much more complex, now I've had a go...

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Not much time because of work commitments but gave it a few minutes,used a picture from the samples,havent worked out yet how to add more.After placing the first picture,the program crashed.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

a strange thing with a "tool tip" apparing backwards a couple of times...

Heres a cropped screenshot;
click here

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia