We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IMP beta - presentation creation

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that we have plenty of download information we'll move forward.

Could you set about creating a presentation, and feed back on how easy (or otherwise) it was to configure slides, add text/image/video content, and add new slides.

Please don't worry too much at this stage about the complexities of the various options - we'll come to that soon; what we need to know first of all is whether you found it straightforward to move from a blank canvas to a finished presentation with multiple slides.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Found it relatively intuitive and "basic". Perhaps I'm not yet exploring its full potential but I have in mind the eventual rrp and I'm struggling to see a value for money package here.

On the plus side I have found it easy to use and good for idiots like me who do not have the need for the regular use of such a program.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

As mentioned previously the software takes some time to open after clicking the Desktop icon.

Once in I created a four slide presentation, changing background colours/textures. The text headers/footers and main are simple to insert and change text type/size/colour but the small sample of typefaces could make this boring.

Use of the provided images is easy but there appears to be a fault in the software as I was unable to Import any .jpg from any other source. The only filetype option in the Import window was .imp - I tried several times in different ways with no good result.

The Preview worked as advertised both singly and as a timed transition but seemed to take a long time to load.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Ok I'm new to this type of software but I found it reasonably easy to create a basic presentation, using images from both the default library and imported images.

Adding pictures to the image library was straightforward enough, although you can't drag and drop them in.

I notice that only Flash (flv) video is supported, so I shall have to download a few Flash files to try later!

As has been said earlier if the header text is enlarged the box says the same size, and so is cutoff.

I would like to see a full screen option for individual slides.

The global settings option on the menu bar does not work, although the icon on the tool-bar does.

Over all a fairly positive experience.

Like this post
Mark5001

Likes # 0

When we went for this test we did not know it was for a slideshow programme until the download e-mail arrived, and it was aimed at people with no experience but I use two other slideshow programmes on a regular basis and I cannot help but compare.

This prog is easy to use,the interface is clean and uncluttered, but as mentioned by many the pictures do not appear in the slideshow.

The output I can see is basic and the programme lacks many options, you can add your own background image by clicking the camera icon below the file dropdown menu and then choosing a picture from the image library.

I have had two random crashes with no reasons/warnings shown. It takes an age to load from the desktop icon, the global settings does not work.

More to come as I continue to explore.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I exported a copy of my presentation to another PC running Vista and it ran instantly and worked perfectly.

Still can't find a way to import documents other than copy & paste.

Can't find a way of adding any sound, which I think other similar products have?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

of missing images, and in one case a missing slide. It seemed to me that this was a pretty important issue, so I emailed the developers yesterday. They've responded this morning, saying that they appreciate all the feedback, and that they're looking into the image/slide thing as a matter of urgency, and that they'll fix it in a later beta version. For the time being we'll have to accept it as a bug - it's what beta testing is for.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I've tried the same thing - exporting an IMP presentation to another machine, with the same result as you. It ran without a hitch. I realised that's because IMP exports everything it needs to run on another machine, with no need to rely on the other computer's software resources.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

my experience is just a few powerpoint jobs.

would like to be able to drag images over, i have a quad cpu but the program is sluggish, the presentation layout appears drab.Other than these points made a small presentation which went ok, not used video yet.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I've tried IMP on a 64 bit Vista Ultimate desktop,4GBs RAM and a netbook with XP & 1GB RAM.

It runs on the desktop with only occasional delays in opening IMP but the netbook will often simply refuse to open IMP(I get the little egg-timer,but then nothing else happens for awhile so I click IMP again with the same result,and finally after upto 8 attempts to open IMP I will get the program to run)

I have never used this kind of software before which I thought was why I wasnt able to import my own pictures but reading the posts above,it looks like the software isnt as "intuitive" as it should be.I did succeed in importing a couple of images after two days of trying.Having imported them,I'm now trying to resize the images and create a presentation that uses them.

I have enlisted my 13yr old daughter to help me,as she was doing presentations in IT just last week,at school.After trying for over an hour yesterday she gave up as she hadnt been able to create anything.I have shown her howto import images and she's agreed to have another try at creating a presentation so hopefully later today we might have something to show for our efforts. :)

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

further...

- when no document is open, the icons on the Text Palette are greyed out, as you'd expect... except for the Underline icon.

- looking at the Text Style drop-down menu, the highlighting colour should be Orange, rather than the almost invisible Grey as it is at the moment.

- Undo seems to take 2 clicks to achieve.

Someone else couldn't delete the first slide of a presentation, I had no trouble :)

WISH: a Style Palette would be good, so that one could Define a style and recreate that across a presentation (I know that you can Duplicate a slide...)

Who is this package aimed at? I should think a professional Presenter would need much more flexibility, and frankly, even schoolkids are nowadays quite comfortable with PowerPoint. But I realise that these musings not the object of this excercise, presumably the developeers have their own marketing experts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......