We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 version 4 - and finally........

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you, everyone, for your good work on this test, and for your feedback - I'm sure that Symantec will find it very useful.

We'll draw the formal part of the test to a close now, but please feel free to continue posting to the various threads if you wish - they'll remain open for the time being, and we'll continue to monitor the content.

Like this post
mobileman1953

Likes # 0

thanks sunnystaines just renewed to 24-11 yhanks

Like this post
mobileman1953

Likes # 0

yhanks should read thanks

Like this post
Chaz10

Likes # 0

I have to agree with your comments, this product is top notch, in the "old" days of Norton it was an intrusive product and took a lot of memory up, but now well, WOW great.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I do mail merge e-mailings and sent out roughly 300 in batches of 30 this week. At one point connection was lost to the smtp.server and as a result I had to resend the messages which all went successfully - after a short delay of about a minute 360 sprang into action with a warning that a message hadn`t been sent due to the smtp server timing out.

It then repeated for each and every e-mail affected - 60 of them! Seemed pretty pointless as Outlook had already told me.

Overall though I like the product. Seems a bit more polished than the version 3.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Running the 360 Startup Manager produces some interesting things. It says that it lists "applications which start automatically" and I have 11 listed, one of which is disabled. Running Ccleaner tool I have 22 but only 6 enabled all of which are listed by Norton.

The one`s that Norton says are enabled include Acronis True Image Monitor, Scheduler and Timemounter. (I have ATI) However these are not listed in Ccleaner. Norton says Sun Java Update is enabled but it isn`t listed in Ccleaner although I have manually set this under advanced in Java Update to check only once a month.

Msconfig mirrors Ccleaner exactly so where does Norton get it`s information from? It would seem to be listing the Acronis applications and missing 14 others that are in msconfig and Ccleaner

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I am using it on an old Dell Optiplex GX280 with 512 meg of ram running XP Pro, I am very pleased with this version of 360 it has run as smooth as AVG 9 free did with the added benefit of firewall I have a copy of the last version and this is better.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I haven`t changed the defaults since installation so periodically when idle, Norton 360 performs a quick scan normally picking up and deleting a few cookies. Yesterday however I set Norton to do a complete scan. This was based on the "High Trust" setting where it omits all the trusted files. This took 3 hours 20 minutes scanning 675,000 items finding 11 cookies.

When initially installed my first scan "Standard Trust" this took 4 hours 8 minutes 776,512 items finding 54 cookies.

I`m running XP with 736 Mb RAM on a Celeron 2.53 GHz board and this seems to be quite slow considering we`re talking of less than 37 Gb of used data. The computer was pretty much unusable during these scans - anyone else noticed this?

Can`t say that 360 is a resource hog in normal use but ask it to do a scan!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i found scans slow in xp too, vista and w7 were so much quicker.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

This is a total turn around of Norton of old I was one of their biggest critics but know I would recomend this version to anybody.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Overall I'm impressed with Norton 360.

The virus scanner is efficient and user friendly. I like how it deals with threats automatically, and does not bombard users with a list of possible actions to take such as 'Repair', 'Quarantine', etc. as many other AV products do.

The firewall is unobtrusive, but not at the cost of functionality, where there appears to be every option that one could wish for.

I have not yet tried the Identity Protection as it does not appeal to me. I do intend to try it at some point though, and will post in the appropriate thread if they are still running.

I disliked the Backup feature as it saves the files in a non-standard format, forcing one to install Norton on whichever computer is used to read the files. Other than that though it was fine.

I like the PC Tune Up section. It does jobs that would otherwise not get done by most people (myself included). I'm not sure how much performance is restored but anything is better than nothing. I also liked the inclusion of a Startup Manager, seeing as the average PC user is not aware of msconfig, and managing startup items is one of the most effective ways of restoring performance. I also like the fact that critical startup items are not included in the list, preventing inexperienced users disabling important items.

I like the interface that is brought up when clicking the 'Norton Tasks' icon. The graph showing CPU / memory usage history is quite nifty, and although I'm not sure why I would need to look at it, it's a good inclusion none-the-less.

So overall, it is a very good program that I would be happy to use and recommend, although there is still room for improvement.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded