We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 version 4 - Your overall impression

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that you've been using the software for a few days, what is your general impression - is it something that you would consider using on a permanent basis?

Some of you will have little niggles, and this is the time and place to tell us about them. We'll keep the threads running until the end of the week, so feel free to share your views on any aspect of the beta product.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Overall I find it very good. It works quietly in the background, reports rogue website and blocks anything that could be a virus.

One problem after clicking on system Insight and Performance I get the message Symantec service framework has stopped working. Norton 360 stops working and has to close. I have to reboot Vista for Norton 360 to work again. It looks as though it is a common fault and will have to check for a solution.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I am also very impressed with this beta. I have always felt that the best security application is one that just sits quietly in the background, doing its job and saying nothing until there's something important to tell me.

Norton 360 4.0 has done just that. It has succeeded where some others have failed, in that it has instilled a sense of confidence in me - I feel I can relax and let the software deal with the barbarians at the gate. If I'm looking for reassurance I click on the icon, and see that the definitions were updated 8 minutes ago, that I'm protected for web browsing and email, and secured for online shopping and banking.

I'm not altogether sure that I need to be told that I should configure the backup so my files are protected "from loss and disaster" - I could do without the word 'disaster' to be honest - but I'm nitpicking here. Overall, an excellent product, one that deserves considerable success in the market.

Like this post
Chaz10

Likes # 0

Ok, just visited this site:
click here
and downloaded a dodgy keylogger to check Norton, Norton went ape and removed the file before it got on the computer.

I would now buy this software!

Like this post
Chaz10

Likes # 0

good idea, I'll have a look at a warez site now.

Like this post
Chaz10

Likes # 0

A few minor problems to start with but it has sat there doing it's job well.

Would I buy it....... mmmmmm not sure depends on price as there are a lot of features included in this software that I will never use ( Backup, identity protection) now if you could get a stripped down version of norton, ie just AV then I might pay £10 a year for it but as it's been over 10 years since I last used Norton it will be a bitter pill to swallow as now I'm used to the free ones such as AVG which work well.

I think the 14 day license is a bit short to test all its features and would like longer, but all in all 9/10.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I think it is excellent. The best point about it is the lack of intrusion... aside from the first time you have to go through what you want to run, and what you can do without. I've barely noticed it was running. Really no impact on performance, easy to use, quick to scan, and fairly comprehensive in services offered. I was amazed at the speed of install.

I'm not sure how effective it is as far as visiting less salubrious sites. I'm tempted to download some torrents and the like, just to see what it finds. Problem is, because I don't use "that" kind of site, I'm not sure what to expect to find... I would like to know it works "in anger" as it were, before I realy recommended it.

I suspect most of us are less... well, um, shall we say adventurous... in our internet tastes. Does it work if one goes prowling "on the dark side" of the internet ...

I would like them to sort the sub-window system, so it is more obvious that there is a window beneath the one you have open, maybe via tiling the stack...

Like this post
hansa

Likes # 0

first time norton user and slightly concerned about resource hogging that I had heard about from previous setups. No problems, apart from initial hiccup when installing. Would prefer that the startup manager had some sort of time delay facility instead of just off or on for the programs.

Depending on price, would make me think hard about returning to Kaspersky.

Like this post
Newuser38

Likes # 0

I am a very longtime Norton user (since Peter Norton days) so perhaps am a little biased but so far so good. The only problem is the learning curve to use the different elements but I am sure I shall crack them. The ability to decide which ones to use and which not is great. It certainly runs well.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

Haven't used a Norton product, except their own uninstaller since systemworks circa 2000, tried to lock me out of my own computer, however no problems yet with this, doesn't seem any heavier on resources than avast and sygate together.

Not noticed any apparent slow down, I'll keep using it I think.

Like this post
joebloggs1

Likes # 0

I have been extremely impressed with the software. It's been a while since I had a Norton product installed,probably Internet Securuites from about 2005, but the software has moved on so much since those days.

I have been using my PC extensivley over the last few days. It's a new build so I have been installing and downloading various programs, and have had no hitches at all with the software.

I have also tried all of the options, and other than a bit of confusion about what some actually do (see below), they have all run quickly.

The only slight issue I have is as follows -
When I run the Diagnostic Report it tells me I have Inoperable Hardware devices. The only option is to open device manager, but that doesn't show anything unusual.
One of the hardware devices reported is my printer, but that is working fine. Second one says Symantic Data Store, but I can't work out what that is.

This is the only issue I have so far.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia