We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 version 4 - Your overall impression

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that you've been using the software for a few days, what is your general impression - is it something that you would consider using on a permanent basis?

Some of you will have little niggles, and this is the time and place to tell us about them. We'll keep the threads running until the end of the week, so feel free to share your views on any aspect of the beta product.

Like this post
babybell

Likes # 0

Just as good as Version 3, but not too much difference apart from visually. Will happily use V4 and recommend to friends just as I did before.

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

also but migrated from it when it slowed down the system and it wanted to take priority to other tasks.

Installation was a breeze and it just got down to doing it's job, protecting the user.

This latest version is very good. It does every thing quietly with out fuss in the background and you cannot see any drain on system resources as you work. The auto updates are quick and with out fuss. I like the idea of it just scans the untrusted files which gives a much faster scan.

The backups are in the middle not just enough for my needs. I'll stick with acronis and I'm not to keen on some of my info being uploaded to a storage facility.

Overall a very good package.

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

I personally think this more of a "set it and forget it" type of suite. perfect for a beginner as there aren't any rules that need to be set up on the firewall. like many here i haven't used an norton product for at least 5 years so am very impressed with how intuitive and simple it is. The interface is nice and clean too.

Like this post
mr simon

Likes # 0

"Lots to play with but I think the average user would find it all too complicated."

Agreed. I think NOD32 has it spot on with the basic features displayed for the less advanced user, with the option below to reveal all the options. 360 does have a heck of a lot of to play with.

Like this post
Giant68

Likes # 0

I have always been one to shun the "paid for" security suites, preferring the free versions of AVG or Avast. But... I now find that this beta has installed more easily than any version of the free ones, runs quietly in the background with no appreciable loss of performance and i quite like the interface.
I'm not sure whether i would use the identity protection feature but I am quite happy to make use of the rest.

Giant68

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Installation
Easy - however
Must have plenty of space on system drive as does not give option to install elsewhere.

Running
Causes problems if short of space on system drive!

Runs in background unobtrusively once logged in.

However it seems to have slowed my log in time considerably, a lot of drive activity as I get to the welcome screen and logging into my desktop.
Wonder if this would be better if running more than 1G of RAM?

Features
Lots to play with but I think the average user would find it all too complicated.

Overall
Seems to work well,
I think for a average user it would be better stripped of all the whistles and bells and set up for general use as and "install and forget" item

Like this post
mr simon

Likes # 0

So far, not my favourite anti-virus, but that might change. The reason being is it keeps throwing up alerts (I've had at least 4 different ones) for files or programs I try to run, stating that its unsure as to whether or not its safe. Part of this I'm sure, is because while its in Beta stage it hasn't seen half these files, so like I say, once that sorts itself out when its in its proper release, everything is there to make it a top notch security program.

My only other niggle is when something has downloaded it the box pops up telling me its OK. Thats fine, but I'd rather it was quiet if there is no problem, but warns me if there is. There might be an option to turn it off but I haven't come across it yet, maybe someone could enlighten me?

Some features that I especially like is being able to disable the firewall in just a couple of clicks, with options for when it comes back on. Scans are fast as well, and don't seem to slow the system down, I've ran a scan playing Call of Duty and didn't notice a drop in frames.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've just had the monthly report screen thrown at me... too much info, just do the job and keep quite at the back!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It does what it says, and I largely also agree with what has been said.

But in some ways it's a piggy in the middle product, with simple internet protection products on one side, and full blown system backup/repair products on the other.

Before the trial I was using Vista's own firewall and defender with AVG free for online protection.

For backup and system maintenance I'm using Norton System Works Premier, which has the other features plus more.

So I would say it's not a product for me to buy, as I would be duplicating a lot of the features.

I've used Norton products since the mid '90s even though a lot on hear have always rubbished them, and it has always been the case that one product gives too little, and another with the feature you want give things that you won't use, this product also fits that claim.

...it's OK though.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Can't add much more than has already been said, runs in the back ground nice and quite, doesn't use more than the bare min of memory.

In the week that I have been running it every thing has been fine, which is an improvement on the version 3 beta. I have clicked one link this week from a site I was on and within 5 seconds Norton had shut the link down warning of an attempt to download a virus.

I intend to update this PC in the next few days so after Norton had shut the previous site down so quickly I have been spending the last couple of days playing about on the net, up to now Norton has either warned me about a site being unsafe or just shut the link down.

No dramas from Norton, just a warning a site may have known problems or a notice to say that the link has been broken to protect my PC.

Tracking cookies have been deleted without any problems, making some of my other programmes obsolete, so if I shut these down I find that overall my memory usage is less than with Norton version 3.

So it's not free, but if you have the same licence to cover 3 PCs as Version3 and the price is no higher than before then you are talking 37 pence a week to have peace of mind. That is not even a cup of tea at todays prices.

Would I buy it, yes defiantly, would I recommend it to another person, again yes, if you have children who surf the web, it should be the first thing you buy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014