We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 version 4.0 backup facility

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Have you used the backup facility, and if you have, what did you think? Does it work as you expected, and would you be happy to use it as your primary backup tool in future?

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

"and would you be happy to use it as your primary backup tool in future?"

No - simply because I would not want the headache of needing Norton installed to be able to read the backed up files. I will therefore be sticking to my Maxtor Backup program for the time being.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Just tried out the Backup feature and this is what I thought.

Firstly, the initial setup is very easy. I'm sure that most computer novices would find it a breeze. I particularly liked the 'What', 'Where', 'When' layout.

Backups seem reasonably quick, and I like how you can set it to automatic which I assume backups when your computer is idle - a critical feature missing from a lot of Backup programs (and anti-virus suites for that matter) which always seem to start their automatic schedules when you're right in the middle of something, grinding your computer to an unwanted halt.

What I didn't like however is the following:

Not being able to specify where exactly on a drive the backup files are stored - i.e. you can choose to back up to the D: drive for example, but if you wanted to store them within a particular folder on that drive for some reason, there doesn't appear to be an option to do so. That is only a minor niggle, and I'm sure most people wouldn't care.

More critically however, and I believe this is crucial, when the files are backed up, they are saved into a totally different format which only Norton will be able to read. This does not provide any security advantage, as no password is set to encrypt the files, but, depending on circumstances, could make restoring the files a tedious task.

Now let’s say my primary hard drive fails, but Norton has backed up all my important documents onto a second drive, which I need immediate access to. I then plug my backup drive into another computer that may be running a totally different security suite. How am I supposed to access my files?! Am I expected to uninstall whichever security suite is installed, then install Norton, copy my files over, uninstall Norton, re-install original security suite, then manually copy back all my files (which would have since been modified) onto the hard drive so they can be restored to the original PC once the hard drive has been replaced (that is assuming my secondary PC actually runs Windows). THIS IS NOT WHAT PEOPLE WANT! The backup files should be saved in their original format so that any computer can browse through the folders simply using Windows Explorer (or even Linux / OS X).

The whole process to me seems like a ploy by Norton to force people into installing their product to enable them to read / restore their backed up files, knowing that once somebody has installed it, they are more likely to stick with it!

So in conclusion, a very good backup suite, ruined by the fact that the backed up files can only be read by a computer running Norton.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Re Viewing backup files

The instructions only seem to inform how to backup and recover files. Eventually I notices the Norton Backup drive icon in Computer, I wandered what it was for. Clicking on this drive and directing to the backup files I was able to view individual files.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Taff™ Thank you for your input. It could be something I've missed. Like all new programs it take time to read and learn how they work and will have another look at the backup progarm.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

BRYNIT - I`ve just accessed and played a music track from the backup set. In My Computer select the Norton Backup Drive, then navigate to the backup drive and the file structure is there. Hope that makes sense! Haven`t tried it for an Office Document though.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I have tried it and didn't like it. Although it may back up the files without problems I could not view a file without restoring it.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Same here will stick to ATI

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Ran a simple backup of Music and it was effective including all playlists as well. Irritatingly the "Default Set" should have been removed first before selecting just Music because now I have Norton Backup Status layers on top of my normal file icons. These make the original icons much more difficult to recognise at a glance - if I`m looking for an Excel icon the overlay masks it slightly. (You can turn this feature off though!)

I use Acronis True Image and backup and retrieval of individual files is much simpler. I shan`t use this feature much but I suppose that the inclusion of Norton Backup in 360 will save others money.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

Backup seems quick and easy to use. Not sure about uploading it though.

I presently use acronis to make a backup after a full install with all programs and then update doc's every week to a memory stick> tink I'll stick with that.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I've already used the back up and for me it's an easy layout, straight forward and quick, backs up to every thing I use and this version appears quicker than version 3.

Only problem is that for some people it just isn't complete, thorough enough?, might not have picked correct words but hope you know what I mean.

Norton need to make it appeal to more people so, polish it up make it shine out more so those users will look at it and say "that is what I want"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers