We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 version 4.0 backup facility

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Have you used the backup facility, and if you have, what did you think? Does it work as you expected, and would you be happy to use it as your primary backup tool in future?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Seem to have a problem

360 icon missing from taskbar
will not start the interface from the desktop icon or the start up menu shortcut or uiStub.exe in Norton folders

However Norton seems to be running in the background as it has just "popped up" to tell me its running a disk optimise and can hear the drive running.

Will have a play and see if can get it to restart properly.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

had this in xp. restart of pc corrects this, no need to reinstall cause not known

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ok a reboot sorted it up and running again.

sunnystaines
yes its XP sp3

Back UP
most confusing click on finacial and it loaded a lot of picture files
click pictures - it loaded favourites
as did music
none of the entries were correct.

but at least it backed them up to where I told it to.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ok a reboot sorted it up and running again.

sunnystaines
yes its XP sp3

Back UP
most confusing click on finacial and it loaded a lot of picture files
click pictures - it loaded favourites
as did music
none of the entries were correct.

but at least it backed them up to where I told it to.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I've already used the back up and for me it's an easy layout, straight forward and quick, backs up to every thing I use and this version appears quicker than version 3.

Only problem is that for some people it just isn't complete, thorough enough?, might not have picked correct words but hope you know what I mean.

Norton need to make it appeal to more people so, polish it up make it shine out more so those users will look at it and say "that is what I want"

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

Backup seems quick and easy to use. Not sure about uploading it though.

I presently use acronis to make a backup after a full install with all programs and then update doc's every week to a memory stick> tink I'll stick with that.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Ran a simple backup of Music and it was effective including all playlists as well. Irritatingly the "Default Set" should have been removed first before selecting just Music because now I have Norton Backup Status layers on top of my normal file icons. These make the original icons much more difficult to recognise at a glance - if I`m looking for an Excel icon the overlay masks it slightly. (You can turn this feature off though!)

I use Acronis True Image and backup and retrieval of individual files is much simpler. I shan`t use this feature much but I suppose that the inclusion of Norton Backup in 360 will save others money.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Same here will stick to ATI

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I have tried it and didn't like it. Although it may back up the files without problems I could not view a file without restoring it.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

BRYNIT - I`ve just accessed and played a music track from the backup set. In My Computer select the Norton Backup Drive, then navigate to the backup drive and the file structure is there. Hope that makes sense! Haven`t tried it for an Office Document though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...