We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 version 4.0 Insight Optimiser

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Have you tried the Insight Optimiser, and if you have, what were your impressions?

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

This is an update to my post on Monday 02/11/09 @ 23:50, where I left 2 test virus files in my 'Downloads' folder, which had so far been undetected.

I have never manually ran a full system scan, however my security history shows that they were picked by Norton 4 days later, on the 06/11/09. I'm not sure whether it was a quick scan or a full scan that detected them. Regardless, they were picked up without any intervention from me, albeit 4 days later.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Checked out the Insight Optimiser after installing. It showed the trusted files as 77% but I could not decide if it increased performance as I had nothing to compare it with.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

It`s about right. Insight basically sets the Antivirus scanner level and tells it what to ignore. Most AV products have this feature. Norton has simply added a graphic interface that shows you the extent of the scan depth. If you set Insight to "All Files" for example you`ll get a 0% - 100% untrusted or a thorough scan.

Like this post
hansa

Likes # 0

86% trusted - 14% not. is this good or bad?
seems to be about the middle of the pack looking at others results

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

I find it a good little feature and if it really works as it says (by not having to re-scan trusted files) and cuts down on the scanning time then it is a feature worth having. Thus far it has found 88% trusted files.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

90% of files trusted, 10% not.

First impressions were great - now I can scan all potentially dangerous files, while leaving, for example, those massive program files folders from trustworthy applications such as games etc. (mostly) alone, which would undoubtedly reduce the scan time substantially.

I then decided to do a test using the eicar test file. I download the .zip version of it which downloaded quite happily undetected. I then performed a Quick Scan, assuming it would scan everything apart from those files that are trusted. The result however was 'No viruses or spyware detected'. This really leads me to question the usefulness of the whole concept!

I have now left another copy of the file on the computer. Perhaps if Norton has time to index the files first, it might find it in the next quick scan?

N.B. Performing a manual scan of the file in question does detect it as a virus, so it is actually in the signature database.

Like this post
mr simon

Likes # 0

18% not trusted. Does this mean that when it runs a normal scan it ignores the 82% that it trusts?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No longer worried the Norton Diagnostic Report has shown them to be Cyberlink files.
:0)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

78% 22%

all but two files not trusted I knew what they were (mostly Acronis and Power cinema) search ed for the other two but couldn't find any info

now I'm worried :0( should I be?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

just ran this, not making any obvious impact.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite