We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 version 4.0 post install impressions

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

So, the new beta is installed, and for most people it seems to have been a trouble-free experience.

What are your initial impressions - is the software running discretely and efficiently, in the background, as a good security application should?

How do you find the email spam filter - too aggressive, or just right?

Does your computer seem to be running smoothly, and as fast as before?

Like this post
mr simon

Likes # 0

On Windows 7 64 bit the beta threw up a fuss when I tried to dowload and install Championship Manager 2010, which didn't happen with my previous AV program. It had an option to allow it through and it worked fine afterwards. Apart from that I have hardly noticed it, it has been quietly sat in the taskbar. I've had to switch the firewall of for a different game too, and that was a piece of cake, a simple right click and it gave me lots of options for when I want it back on. Impressive stuff so far.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

no trouble with norton spam control, no effect on performance of pc that i can notice.

played around more today has the thumbs up.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

tried to install the new jk mydefrag ver 4.2.5 sonar came in and deleted it, not yet found a way to tell norton its ok.

in the end disabled norton, did the install and re enabled norton afterwards

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

It runs smoothly in the background and I have had no problems with spam.

A few problems.

Download of large files from the net seem slower especially if they are large files.

System restore is prevented from working due to Norton 360 security feature click here which you have to turning off for system restore to work and then back on again.

Check disk was scheduled to scan my hard drive after reboot but found Norton 360 prevented check disk from working.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

so far all seems to be running smoothly in the background, have run a couple of scans no problems, not run a full scan yet but noted the option for a custom scan so i could avoid the back up routine, approx 700gb on the machine so a scan will be set for overnight.

No email to scan, as i use webmail exclusively nowadays.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Pleased to say that every thing is spot on, compared to last version it appears to be doing the same job just better.

It's actually using less memory than before but doing everything quicker, one thing that I have noticed, unless it's just coincidental, is that a game that I used to have problems with now works without any freezing.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

my problem earlier was in vista, trying the same install in xp runs ok without being blocked. why does sonar have a false positive a block in vista only?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

So far running nicely in background not at all intrusive and is doing everything I expect of an A/V keeping me protected and getting on with it's job while I get on with what I want.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and is doing everything I expect of an A/V"

Which is precisely my own experience. So far, so good, I'm very impressed with this software.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Very smooth. No problems. Spam filter has worked OK, no false positives (which is worse to me than missing the occasional spam mail), very quick to scan, all other functions that occur in background are unnoticeable.

Slightest gripe... new windows it pensor various advanced functions are "right over the top" of the old window, hiding whether it's still there, and it's not always clear that closing the top window takes you back one step. Staggered windows would help/sort this.

This is good stuff. I don't visit many "interesting" sites on the web, so I suppose I don't know what it's like when it has "man's" work to do....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone