We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 version 4.0 post install impressions

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

So, the new beta is installed, and for most people it seems to have been a trouble-free experience.

What are your initial impressions - is the software running discretely and efficiently, in the background, as a good security application should?

How do you find the email spam filter - too aggressive, or just right?

Does your computer seem to be running smoothly, and as fast as before?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

First impression is that all is running smoothly. It's discrete once I tick the 'don't show this again' options for anything that I don't want to be reminded of again.

There was one email from my bank that got sent to the junk folder, but I pressed the 'not spam' button and it was sorted.

It is running a bit more smoothly and opening browser windows more quickly.

One thing is that the annoying instances of a blank page that needs refreshing to view (see the white screen thread) has self repaired, I haven't had the problem since installing it.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

It seems to perform well so far. It is not at all intrusive.

I have not yet tweaked any of the settings and that seems fine for the anti virus and firewall, but spam is getting through that was blocked by my previous spam blocker. Having said that, most spam is captured at server level by my ISP.

I need to have another look at the backup facility. It looks like I can elect to backup whole drives, but not selected folders within that drive. I have only spent a few moments on this and, as rain is forecast for later, it will be something to do after the gardening.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I should add that there is no apparent performance hit after installing it.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

Quite pleased with the performance of Norton. The machine runs smoothly and it might just be a little bit faster than normal.

"is the software running discretely and efficiently"

Yes it is. I have to keep checking to see if it is working as there is no sudden drop in performance. Definition updates are clean , fast and unnoticed. No flashy alarms bells, sounds or popups to tell you are up to date.

I usually get very little spam and 70% auto goes to junk folder. Now all spam is in the junk folder.

Very impressed, so far.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

in vista is running first class, dont know why but a little sluggish in scans on xp.

room for improvements

include the execellent UAC tool

the delayed start up list, no option to set the delay time [eg 2mins or 5mins etc]

the backup could be improved to back up the c drive to external media [memory key,hdd,dvd]

the items to delete after scan would be nice to be able to read what they are other than just 3 cookies.

overall like it, very good.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

with the betas being revamped every two weeks or so will will we be notified of the download links so we can keep the beta going for the full 90 days for those that want to do so.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Runs quietly in back ground doesn't seem to affect performance speed of my 3.2 Ghz 1M ram Medion.

Had to reset both gmail and freeserve email accounts before being able to receive mail, although outgoing mail was unaffected.

Spam filtering needs "training"

Like this post
Giant68

Likes # 0

So far I am quite impressed. The install was smooth and hassle free and now it sits in the background and appears to the job it was designed for. I have not noticed any speed difference, either faster or slower, but I have installed it on a brand new laptop with a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and shed loads of RAM. I also need some free time, possibly tomorrow, to investigate the backup function which is showing as having failed a backup on 28th.
Ran a scan of the whole system and it seemed to run quicker than AVG, which I have always used prior to this.

Giant68

Like this post
Newuser38

Likes # 0

All seems ok I was not asked to remove Microsoft Security Essentials and N360 is blocking it. The spam filter works ok I think as per Norton usual standards from my experience currently of Norton Security 2010 on other PC's.

Like this post
mobileman1953

Likes # 0

smooth hassle free installation, runs smoothly in the background, no reduction in performance, updates without interruption quite improved from the last nortons i used 2006,no problems with email or other software installed, quite impressed at the moment

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia