We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Final summing up

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

We're approaching the end of our planned testing schedule, and we'll bring things to a close fairly soon - probably late on Wednesday evening (14th January) or Thursday.

It would be very helpful if you could each make a single post, summing up your overall impression of the beta software you've been testing. By now you should have a pretty good idea about how you feel with regard to this version of Norton 360 - are you looking forward to your free one year licence, or will you be resuming the use of whatever security software you were using before you started the test?

Please tell it as it is - the idea of this test (apart from providing you with what we hope has been an interesting experience) is to provide Symantec with some quality feedback on their new product.

Like this post
skidzy

Likes # 0

Lets not forget its a Beta product;

Though a massive improvement on older packages such as Systemworks,i will not be installing any further Norton suites on any of my computers,nor will i recommend this.

Sounds a little harsh,maybe so.Ive had many scenarios will Norton products and this is just another.
My main problem with this (360 and xp) is the constant crashing of Firefox and a few smaller issues that i have already posted.

I think the main big step Symantec have made,is the use of the computer resources.
Norton products use to be like a big heavy weight you just could not lift,now its lighter and it plods along better.

Just as a testing purpose,i may still carry on through the beta's and rc's even if just to see how much impact this and other surveys have on the builds of 360.

Though for me, free license or not...i still would not buy the product.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Just another small update I also installed the Norton Beta2 software on Windows 7 beta which I am running as a dual boot with XP and so far it is running OK on that also.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

I thought I would add a small addendum to my thoughts on Norton Beta. The latest issue of PC Advisor includes a copy of Bit Defender, so I uninstalled Norton and installed BD and I must say it is very intrusive, it wanted all sort of permissions and input from me unlike Norton which I found you basically install and forget about, so after a while I uninstalled BD and went back to Norton...or should I say I went back to Norton beta2 and it is now running nice and unobtrusively in the background, after comparing it with BD I am more impressed and more likely to use it now as my primary protection software.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

if you only get 15 days use like myself at the end of 15 days.

On the Main Screen, click My Account
Click Renew Subscription
Check RENEW NOW and click NEXT
click button to renew

info from norton beta administrator.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Well I didn't manage to get as far as the rest of you. When I tried to download the beta test from Thailand I kept getting a refusal from their Export Security Department but I was still sent a Key. I reported the problem to the Symantec site as I was asked to do and they replied that this was an error and to try again.

After a couple of more tries Symantec finally advised me they had a problem which they were trying to fix and they finally gave me the OK to try again.

This time I managed to get further into the download site and actually managed to download about 11MB before I was kicked off their site. I tried again but only managed to get about 5 MB before being kicked off. In all I received the key 5 times.

Symantec then referred me to another company that was doing work for them on this and asked me to forward details of what problems I was having to them using a special number which they gave me which I did do.

My experiences were annoying but nothing more as all my communications with Symantec were dealt with quickly and courteously.

Like this post
MCE2K5

Likes # 0

As I have had No Problems at all with Norton360, I have decided to keep using it (the Betas) till I get my Full One Year Key, Then Price & Money (Pension) permitting will carry on using it.

The Beta has done me and Norton proud by stopping a nasty through a Spam Page, Stopped it in it's tracks.

Can I once again Thank (FE) Peter & Norton (Symantec Corporation) for a very useful piece of protection software.

Like this post
MCE2K5

Likes # 0

"I get problems, on start up I am getting many pop up boxes advising about back up, can't stop them, and a red exclamation mark in my system tray which refers to low back up storage space, I have hard drive ticked for this with 70gb available, I am baffled, but hey, it's my only real gripe.":

Try this, Click Backup, View Details, Under "Things you can do", Click Turn Off Backup.

Like this post
MCE2K5

Likes # 0

"Just to give my first bad note which is, I have green boxes with ticks in them all over my files, haven't worked out if this is because I have backed them up or some other reason but it looks horrendous, my first big down point, if anyone knows exactly why they have appeared please advise me, thanks.":

Green Ticks indicate Backed-up Files.

To turn this off, Click Backup, Manage Backup Settings, Under Summery Tab, Untick "Use Icon Overlays", Save Settings, Bam, They are gone.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Symantec have informed us that you will receive your licence when the final version becomes available. As yet we don't have a release date for that.

If your beta version expires you can always download a later build, and use that.

Like this post
clvmsn

Likes # 0

I know we are at the end of testing but feel I must give a final comment, all I have give this product is praise but now that test is over I get problems, on start up I am getting many pop up boxes advising about back up, can't stop them, and a red exclamation mark in my system tray which refers to low back up storage space, I have hard drive ticked for this with 70gb available, I am baffled, but hey, it's my only real gripe.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer