We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Final summing up

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

We're approaching the end of our planned testing schedule, and we'll bring things to a close fairly soon - probably late on Wednesday evening (14th January) or Thursday.

It would be very helpful if you could each make a single post, summing up your overall impression of the beta software you've been testing. By now you should have a pretty good idea about how you feel with regard to this version of Norton 360 - are you looking forward to your free one year licence, or will you be resuming the use of whatever security software you were using before you started the test?

Please tell it as it is - the idea of this test (apart from providing you with what we hope has been an interesting experience) is to provide Symantec with some quality feedback on their new product.

Like this post
Wrinkly70

Likes # 0

Please read "their" for "there" in the penultimate paragraph.

Like this post
Main Access

Likes # 0

Well all was going well.
Norton is now asking me to do a back up, which i dont want to do. But can I find a way of turnng it off? and now the task bar icon has a red cross on it. Most anoying

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

We'll be closing the door on this test soon, so if anyone else would like to record a final report on the Norton 360 software now's your chance.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

On the plus side the program installs and runs very well in the background with minimal effect on system resources and this must be the biggest step forward for Norton in years. I would have no hesitation in recommending it for novice users because you can set it up and forget it after any initial preferences are set. Whether people will be prepared to pay for this remains to be seen though.

On the negative side I think there is some way to go to satisfy a power user that this product is he finished article. As I`ve reported in another thread there are niggly faults and inconsistencies in the reporting. A full idle scan last night reported 1 problem - 1 cookie, very unlikely! (In fact if you delve deep enough the real answer was 18)

Norton Insight places Word and Outlook into it`s trusted files but not Excel or any other Office Program for that matter. Clean up reports it`s deleted 26,000 files, haven`t a clue what they were but nothing seems to be adrift. It`s a bit disconcerting that Norton automatically makes changes to your registry without warning too. I have looked carefully at some of the problems experienced by others on this beta test and have indeed experienced the same problems. The worst one being the crashing of IE with run time errors.

I notice that Norton have released another beta version for their testers this morning but I think I`ll wait until the full release candidate appears before I test this again. At that point I`ll decide if I need an all in one solution or not. I personally don`t have a problem remembering to run free antivirus scans, Acronis TI backups or malware scanners at times to suit my variable work schedules.

Like this post
justme

Likes # 0

A word of praise for the Norton programmers. I uninstalled Norton 360 using the add/remove programs part of the control panel. I had expected to find parts of the Norton suite left over but I was pleasantly surprised not to find anything left so far.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. With regard to your comment that:

"On the negative side I think there is some way to go to satisfy a power user that this product is he finished article."

I should perhaps remind you that it isn't the finished article - it's beta software - and of course the whole idea of beta testing is to reveal the faults and glitches in the software, so the developers can sort the problems out before the product is launched. That's why feedback like yours, and that of the other testers in this forum, is so valuable.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

You may notice that your Norton says it has five days of subscription left.

You can extend this, should you wish to. You may wish to wait until there is one day left, as the following will add three weeks to your subscription. However, you do NEED TO DO IT BEFORE EXPIRY, or it won't work).

Open Norton 360, click on the top menu "My Account"

On the next window that opens, click on left-hand side "Renew Subscription" .

A web page will open, and a button "Renew Subscription" is all that's there. Click, and you get another 3 weeks.

If you do this, I believe you will probably get a further extension at the end of that period, until Norton believe that the version you downloaded is superseded by a better (though still possibly a beta) version.

Enjoy another 3 weeks if you wish... or uninstall and revert back to another AV!

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I have already posted my feedback on first page of thread: I just wanted other users to know this before all the threads are locked....

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Thanks bjh but someone made us aware of this previously.

Like this post
Falkyrn

Likes # 0

I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of removal of the Beta - a considerable improvement upon Norton Products of the past.

Another plus point for the N360 team.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features